Need help deciding!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sm2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly cannot decide between ob-gyn and gen. surgery. I don't want to know who is better than who, I just want to know if anybody else had this dilemma between the two and how they figure it out. I have trouble seeing what would be my typical days in gen. surgery once I finished residency, but I know that I like the field. What I like about ob-gyn is that you combine primary care with surgical procedures. Please, if you have any advice, I would appreciate it.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to decide just how much you like clinic, the OR, and most importantly, the vagina. For instance, if you LOVE OR time and hate clinic, do gen surgery. If you like some aspects of primary care and like a combo of clinic and OR, Ob Gyn may be a good choice. But, if you absolutely dislike vaginas, well that's a no brainer. Another important difference is number of hours in the OR. Gen surgeons spend all day in there, usually 4 days per week, with a day or so for clinic.

Good luck!
kdoc2005

Big difference is continuity of care. As an OB you routinely see your patients and get the benefits of surgery. Although I too was faced with this decision I chose OB and love my allopathic residency at Akron General in OH.

Good luck
Diane

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having the same dilemma.. as a female, i feel like i can contribute tons to ob/gyn field but i'm put off by the talk to malpractice, and my experience w/ some very insecure and verry verrrry unhappy attendings. i'm worried about ending up like them and hearing about the some of the gruesome residency programs out there doesn't help any..

surgery sounds perfect with very little clinic time, but its a scary thought to depend on my hands till my dottage to earn..the too many what iffs ?? wrackin my brain is hellish..
any more input about how you guys/gals are coming to a decision rulin in /out one of fields???

I thought about these two also. When I talked to the residents about why they chose OB/Gyn, they almost all said, "I liked surgery and I also liked primary care." My decision was made when I realized that I like surgery...period. If you are like me and don't like clinic, surgery may be better. If you like following your patients for a little bit longer, OB is the way to go.

What about their lifestyles? Is ob-gyn much more worse than gen. surgery (of course, after residency), or is people who tell me this don't know what they are talking about? I mean, it is obvious that I'm not placing great emphasis on lifestyle, but I would like to know that at least I can get a couple of weeks off for vacation each year.