Need help figuring out where I should apply... Thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareerNumTwo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'd like some feed back on my current list. It's pretty short. Please let me know if you think I should add or take away a school.

Background
  • GPA
    • First undergrad: Cumulative: 2.7, sGPA: 2.4 (B.S. Economics - 2007)
    • Master's Degree: 3.8 (M.S. Engineering Management - 2013)
    • Post-Bacc: 3.8
    • Projected GPAs at time of application next year:
      • Cumulative: 3.13
      • BCP: 3.23
      • sGPA: 2.93
  • Texas: Legal state of resident. Due to my unique circumstances, I'm able to declare a fresh start later this year. Due to the exceptions for the military, I'm a resident for admissions purposes. As such, my GPA for the TMDSAS is projected as...
    • Cumulative: 3.82
    • BCP: 3.78
    • sGPA: 3.78
    • Primary concern with TX schools is lack of upper-division sciences. I'm still working full time, have a family, and am completing pre-reqs... they won't fit into my schedule.
  • DAT: TBD. I take it next summer. I know success on this is critical for me.
  • Non-trad. Will be 34 at time of application (so old...). :)
  • URM: 1st gen Mexican American
  • Socioeconomically disadvantaged growing up through college (Does this even matter now that I'm older and have had a relatively successful career already? Either way, it will be incorporated into my personal statement to explain my first degree's weak GPA.)
  • 11 years Active duty service - Army Officer
    • Deployed to Iraq.
    • Last assignment: commanded 200+ Soldiers on a special mission.
    • Current Assignment: teaching college freshmen (ROTC).
  • Shadowing: 130 hours so far.
  • Volunteering: Will have over 600 hours.
    • Habitat for Humanity
    • Hospice
    • Local organization that helps out senior citizens in the area
Needs
  • Somewhere safe with a med/low cost of living.
  • I have a daughter and I'd like to be near good public schools.
  • Public preferred over private
  • A school that supports families (I've heard great things about ASDOH and Roseman... it's just hard to get over the price tags).
Current List
  1. Baylor
  2. UT San Antonio
  3. UT Houston
  4. University of Michigan (This is where my original undergrad came from.)
  5. University of Pittsburgh
  6. Rutgers (I was born and raised in NJ, confirmed with ADCOM that I'd be considered a resident for admissions purposes.)
  7. University of Maryland
  8. University of Connecticut
  9. ASDOH
  10. Midwestern University
  11. Roseman

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your service! You have a lot going for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Should cost really be a factor? Don't you have the G.I. Bill?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should cost really be a factor? Don't you have the G.I. Bill?
GI Bill doesn't cover private tuition. It's capped at about $21,000 per year for private schools. So yes, it's a factor. The benefit of public schools is that they're required to grant me in-state tuition in order to receive payment on my GI Bill and the GI Bill will cover 100% of it (even if it's more than $21k per year). However, public schools aren't required to consider me a resident when applying. That said, some private schools like Pitt offer the "Yellow Ribbon" program and they will cover the difference in between the max private school payout and their tuition (hence why Pitt is on my list).

GI Bill doesn't cover private tuition. It's capped at about $21,000 per year for private schools. So yes, it's a factor. The benefit of public schools is that they're required to grant me in-state tuition in order to receive payment on my GI Bill and the GI Bill will cover 100% of it (even if it's more than $21k per year). However, public schools aren't required to consider me a resident when applying. That said, some private schools like Pitt offer the "Yellow Ribbon" program and they will cover the difference in between the max private school payout and their tuition (hence why Pitt is on my list).

Ah, gotcha. Wasn't aware there were limitations like that.

How about considering other public school that give in-state after a year?

Thanks for your service! You have a lot going for you.
I wish I was as optimistic. I know another person with a similar academic and military background who had to apply twice (to 12+ schools each time) and only received one interview (and subsequently an acceptance) from a private school.

Ah, gotcha. Wasn't aware there were limitations like that.
How about considering other public school that give in-state after a year?

My main concern with public schools is whether or not they admit OOS and what their stats are (my stats - even with the post-bacc - are fairly lackluster and my sGPA will be below a 3.0). Have any recommendations?

I don't have to worry about the in-state thing because using the GI bill to pay for dental school guarantees I will receive in-state tuition. All public schools in the US are required to honor that for military members who start school within three years of leaving the service. I'm truly grateful to be in this situation. However, I worry that I'll only get into private schools because of the GPA...

My main concern with public schools is whether or not they admit OOS and what their stats are (my stats - even with the post-bacc - are fairly lackluster and my sGPA will be below a 3.0). Have any recommendations?

I don't have to worry about the in-state thing because using the GI bill to pay for dental school guarantees I will receive in-state tuition. All public schools in the US are required to honor that for military members who start school within three years of leaving the service. I'm truly grateful to be in this situation. However, I worry that I'll only get into private schools because of the GPA...

So, you will get in-state tuition wherever you go, but they will still consider you OOS as an applicant, correct?

I would try to get your sGPA at least above a 3.0. You should also aim for a 21+ DAT.

So, you will get in-state tuition wherever you go, but they will still consider you OOS as an applicant, correct?
Exactly

I would try to get your sGPA at least above a 3.0. You should also aim for a 21+ DAT.
Unfortunately, I won't have enough time between now and applying next year to make this happen. Mathematically it won't work. If I don't get in next year, I would then be able to use next year's courses to hit the 3.0 mark. Though it'll be close... Once classes are done this spring, I'm going to start calling the schools on my list to get their take on it. I was just wondering if there were any others out there that would be a good fit for me. Or if I'm reaching with the ones on my list.

Exactly

Unfortunately, I won't have enough time between now and applying next year to make this happen. Mathematically it won't work. If I don't get in next year, I would then be able to use next year's courses to hit the 3.0 mark. Though it'll be close... Once classes are done this spring, I'm going to start calling the schools on my list to get their take on it. I was just wondering if there were any others out there that would be a good fit for me. Or if I'm reaching with the ones on my list.
For now, aim for the best DAT score! Your experiences and background may offset your initial undergrad.

Many D-schools look favorably on non-trad students, especially ones with military backgrounds. If you do well on your DAT I think you have a very realistic chance for an acceptance to a Texas D-school.

Thank you for your service btw.

Score well on the DAT and you should be alright for TX schools. UTHSCSA is very military friendly so you have that going for you as well.

Farmington, Connecticut has fantastic public schools for your daughter and is about as safe as it gets.

Great to know! I'd love to go there, but I've read that the OOS students they accept have GPA stats higher than their published average for admitted applicants... Based on my weak GPA, it's more of a reach school for me.

http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudyGuide.pdf
http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf

If you follow these to the letter of the law, you will get above a 21 on your DAT. It's literally impossible for someone who does to get lower than that if they have the intelligence to hack dental school. I personally believe that the only people who get poor DAT scores are either not intelligent enough to succeed in school, are intelligent enough but are too cocky and underestimate the exam, or too undisciplined to put in the necessary work to succeed.
I really hope this is true! Either way, it's a big boost to my confidence. So, thanks! :)

Many D-schools look favorably on non-trad students, especially ones with military backgrounds.

Really? Which ones? :)

If you do well on your DAT I think you have a very realistic chance for an acceptance to a Texas D-school.
Score well on the DAT and you should be alright for TX schools. UTHSCSA is very military friendly so you have that going for you as well.

I hope so. I know the "fresh start" GPA will make me competitive, but I keep repeating in my head what the rep at Baylor told me: "you won't be as competitive without upper division science credits because you'll be compared with biology majors." So much for, "it doesn't matter what your major is."

Really? Which ones? :)

I hope so. I know the "fresh start" GPA will make me competitive, but I keep repeating in my head what the rep at Baylor told me: "you won't be as competitive without upper division science credits because you'll be compared with biology majors." So much for, "it doesn't matter what your major is."
Yeah Baylor really likes to see their applicants perform well in many upper division Bio courses. It really doesn't matter what your major is. If you aren't a biology major you're just gonna have to take extra classes to be more competitive for Baylor.

If you follow these to the letter of the law, you will get above a 21 on your DAT. It's literally impossible for someone who does to get lower than that if they have the intelligence to hack dental school. I personally believe that the only people who get poor DAT scores are either not intelligent enough to succeed in school, are intelligent enough but are too cocky and underestimate the exam, or too undisciplined to put in the necessary work to succeed. You have clearly demonstrated discipline, through being a mother and your time in the military, and should really do well if you stick to the plan.

Best of luck!
:blackeye: Ow.