Need Help Finalizing List of Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raider49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am non-traditional applicant and I am trying to nail down my final list of schools. My stats are 3.55 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA (post-bacc)

Does anyone have other schools I should include and also can anyone provide thoughts on my current list? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am non-traditional applicant and I am trying to nail down my final list of schools. I am a NYS resident. My stats are 3.55 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA (post-bacc) and 24 aa/24ts.
My current list includes:

Stony Brook
Buffalo
Columbia
Florida
Michigan

Does anyone have other schools I should include and also can anyone provide thoughts on my current list? Thank you in advance!
what is your overall sGPA?
any DAT sections below 17?

add more schools
3 out of your 5 are extremely competitive

Is that cGPA you posted including the post-bac courses you undertook? As the above poster asked, what is your sGPA? A bunch of criterion absent from your post to best provide you with a thorough evaluation. Anyways, that GPA is right around the matriculation average of dental schools, possibly even slightly lower. Your dat seems good although you did not provide a detailed subsection breakdown so if those individual sections are good, then that aspect is solid. Stony is tough--good school and super duper cheap. Colombia and Michigan are also super tough. Given your available stats, I would add a few private schools too. I would recommend adding some of the following:

Rutgers (can get instate tuition after 1st yr)
UConn (prob as difficult as Stony to get in to, can get instate tuition)
VCU (amazing program, some get in-state tuition if you can prove "domicile" status)
Tufts ($$$, some get scholarships)
BU ($$$, some get scholarships)

It all depends what you want and what you are looking for in a program. Do extensive research as this is likely to be a costly investment for your future. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Colombia is quite pricey. Consider my previous post about adding Rutgers, VCU, and UCONN. Unfortunately, most dental schools are pricey :(. Even with the schools that offer in state tution, once you factor in living expenses they can mirror the overall COA for private schools. If you are determined to be a dentist but COA is a strong consideration in your choices, consider HPSP programs, working in a low income area wjth tution forgiveness, etc.

Thank you for mentioning the above options, I will certainly look into them i appreciate the help! And I completely understand that there is high cost to all dental schools that is unavoidable, I just truly do believe that the difference of COA between 80k/year and 125k/year is massive when trying to pay off the loans!
I agree with you 100 percent. It should actually be illegal for them to be charging what they charge.

I am sure there are more schools that offer instate tuition but I just dont know them off the top of my head. There is a book by the adea that details the major statistical info of all US dental schools so that was helpful for me when I applied. Look into finding that book, if I find a link to that i will post it for you.

Here you go my friend:

Good GPAs and DAT scores. If the other parts of your app are decent, you stand a shot at all the schools you listed. If you have no clear blemishes on your app, you should still up your list to 10 schools at least to be safe. Use the adea guide/explorer to determine which schools are most oos friendly to nys residents and this is how you should choose the rest of the list. As far as I can tell, the schools you picked so far are good choices, except I question how oos friendly Florida is?