Need Help Getting Accepted.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guhdar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2009 from MTSU with a Bachelors in Biology and minor in Chemistry and maintained a GPA of 3.0 (a little over). I did horrible on my PCAT because I am not so good on standardized tests. I need help in getting accepted into a pharmacy school that does not require the PCAT score. Does anybody know of any pharmacy schools that fall into that category.

I am willing to take the PCAT again in January if I can get my hands on the right material to study for the test. I need all the advice I can get.

I am currently a certified compounding pharmacy technician at a compound pharmacy and have over 8 years of experience in different pharmacy settings. I cook rapid dissolve tablets and do many other compounds and basically run the lab since the Pharmacist only works part-time. I have applied the past four years and have not even had one interview yet from any of the pharmacy schools that I submitted an application. Need major help.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, most California pharmacy schools do not require Pcat. You can also look up on Pharmcas for schools that do not require Pcat. However, i think these school are very competitive to get in
1. My best suggestion is taking Pcat again.
I studied Dr. collin. This is the best study guide for me. I also bought pearson practice test which helped me a lot in managing my time for each section. I also registered for kaplan. They have free practice test events online sometimes. By using those materials, I took pcat one time and scored 81. I know it not very high but at least it is high enough to apply for several schools.
2. Apply early
3. U have great pharmacy experiences which will help you a lot. Try to mention it in your personal statement. Also, try to write a good personal statement.
I hope it helps.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have never done any drugs or drank alcohol in my entire life. Also, I have a clean criminal background, never been to jail or prison at all. I am about to approach my 30s soon and am married with two little kids. I am a responsible and patient person and much more. So, I am not sure why I haven't even been given an interview. The only thing that looks bad on my application is my PCAT score. Other than that, I feel like I'm a pretty solid candidate, I believe, especially since I am bilingual and can help the 10,000 Kurds in my city with their medication questions by becoming a Pharmacist.

See, I can learn the material easily if I just have the right material to study. I am a pretty quick learner. Do you know of any books/online information that could possibly help raise my score?

You are better of studying hard for the PCAT and applying to school that requires it

Schools that do not require the PCAT will obviously place a higher emphasis on GPA in which case you're not a strong applicant

If you can pull an 80+ composite combined with your extensive pharmacy experience I'm sure you will get interviews

If you keep applying to the same schools with the same stats what makes you think you will get in? Put in the effort to research the schools and study for the PCAT if you are actually serious about it

Last edited:
Which sections are you struggling with (what is your score range for each section)? How did you major in Bio and minor in Chem, but still bomb the PCAT?

As for the PCAT, most people recommend Dr. Collins. I only used Kaplan and it worked for me, but a lot of people do complain that it is lacking.

And as everyone else has stated, your experience is stellar. Rather than apply to schools that don't require PCAT with a 3.0, you should study your ass off and aim for a high PCAT score

I took it back in 2011 and am unsure of my score from each section. I do know that I scored below 30th percentile. I would have to say that I scored low on all the sections. I think, I should take it once before January just to see what kind of material is on the test, and then study super hard until I fully understand all the concepts and material. I knew how to solve each of the problem in the Kaplan practice test, but only a very, very little percentage of that material was on the exam. I will try Dr. Collins next. Thanks!

Last edited:
OK. I will not retake it. I thought you could choose whether to send the score to the designated schools or not. At least, that's what I was told before I took the test back in 2011. I will try the Kaplan and Dr. Collins. Thanks.

Thanks for the information, 87asu. Also, thanks to everybody else for the advice.

1. Apply as early as possible
2. Prepare well on your application. Put a lot of time and effort for your essays.
3. Retake PCAT if possible

My GPA isnt great as well. I put a lot of time for PCAT knowing my GPA isnt competitive. I scored 93 on PCAT after 2-3 months of studying.
I spent months for writing my essays and applied early.

I was still scared and I applied 20 schools. I was afraid I wont get accepted anywhere.

I got interview invitation from nearly all the schools I applied (Still working on my top choice's essay)

If your GPA isnt competitive, try to make up for it from other areas. And I think getting 80+ PCAT will make up for your low GPA.
You can do it. There are many schools now and you will eventually get accepted somewhere
Good luck

I graduated in 2009 from MTSU with a Bachelors in Biology and minor in Chemistry and maintained a GPA of 3.0 (a little over). I did horrible on my PCAT because I am not so good on standardized tests. I need help in getting accepted into a pharmacy school that does not require the PCAT score. Does anybody know of any pharmacy schools that fall into that category.

I am willing to take the PCAT again in January if I can get my hands on the right material to study for the test. I need all the advice I can get.

I am currently a certified compounding pharmacy technician at a compound pharmacy and have over 8 years of experience in different pharmacy settings. I cook rapid dissolve tablets and do many other compounds and basically run the lab since the Pharmacist only works part-time. I have applied the past four years and have not even had one interview yet from any of the pharmacy schools that I submitted an application. Need major help.
Florida A and M university doesn't require the pcat and Lecom doesn't require it if you have a bachelors which you do. Gl!