Need Help Making A School List For Next Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShidaM

Reaction score
Hi all, I was looking for help making a school list for when I apply in May. I am also wondering what parts of my app are weak and need some more work in the months until then. I am going to project my work and volunteer hours to what I believe I will have by next May.

Florida Resident. URM? (cuban). My main worry is that some of the stats for Florida schools are too high for me.

Undergrad: University of South Florida. I studied Biomedical Sciences (fancy for premed) and graduated from the honors college there.
GPA: 3.88 sGPA: 3.77

MCAT:
131/128/126/127

Scribe Hours:
Projected 870
I am not sure if I'd like to keep scribing until May. I may look for another clinical job, I'd appreciate suggestions

Volunteering:
In hospital volunteering: about 40 hours in a radiation therapy setting. It's not a lot but COVID and finishing school early meant I had to move back home where student volunteering in hospitals is rarer.
Food Shelter: Projected 100 hours. If this is too low I can find time to get more.

I have done a virtual internship with a physician who serves Haitian immigrant communities in the DR. Would've flown out there but... covid.

I don't have any lab research hours, but as part of the honors curriculum I did investigative research on refugee healthcare in different countries and presented a poster on that.

I'm really feeling like I'm behind in this process. I feel like I want to retake my MCAT since I was feeling unwell the first time, and go find other volunteer gigs like interpreting but I also need to be cautious of wearing myself out. In your opinion, what schools makes sense for me to apply to and what are some things I should do to increase the number of schools I have a shot at?

What I'm currently considering:
All Florida MD
University of Vermont
Rutgers
SUNYs
UC Davis
Albany
Drexel
Albert Einstein
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Penn State

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest posting in WAMC (What Are My Chances) to get the most responses, but I’ll put in my 2 cents now. Your stats are good, and you don’t need to take the MCAT again unless you are convinced you would raise your score by at least 5 points. Keep on doing your non-clinical volunteering and pick up some physician shadowing in a primary care setting (if your scribing is in primary care, that may suffice). Decide what experiences you will choose as your 3 “most meaningful” and make sure you are able to write not only what you did, but what you learned and how you were affected by the experiences. your application (and PS) should reflect how you “grew” over the course of your “journey to medicine”.

Reactions: 1 user