Need Help on some info... PLz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmcard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how to become an orthodontist. I am a foreign trained dentist. Just finished my NBDE II hopefully I passed. Now my questions are do I have to do 2 yrs first as a general dentist to get my license or can I apply to my specialty. And I heard that in order to do a specialty one has to get a degree and not a certificate of 2 yrs for general dentist that florida makes u do in order to practice dentistry. I also heard that if you do a specialty outside the state u want to practice (for example I live in florida but lets say I do a specialty in watever in connecticut) then I wont be able to come back to florida and work as my specialty? Is this true... Any help would be greatly appreciately.. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know how to become an orthodontist. I am a foreign trained dentist. Just finished my NBDE II hopefully I passed. Now my questions are do I have to do 2 yrs first as a general dentist to get my license or can I apply to my specialty. And I heard that in order to do a specialty one has to get a degree and not a certificate of 2 yrs for general dentist that florida makes u do in order to practice dentistry. I also heard that if you do a specialty outside the state u want to practice (for example I live in florida but lets say I do a specialty in watever in connecticut) then I wont be able to come back to florida and work as my specialty? Is this true... Any help would be greatly appreciately.. Thank you.

It really depends on the school that you are applying. Some requires dds from accredited coda school and some not.
Mostly will accept international dentists I believe, but that does not mean that after finish the course you will be able to work in the state. To check that, you have to see the state boards requirements. Most of states will NOT grant you a license if with specialty in the USA, they still require at least 2 years of dds.