NEED HELP PLEASE - Multi-State MPJE for new Job!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RXDOC1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Introduction: Georgia Pharmacist, Pharm.D. w/PGY-1 working in-state for the last 30+ years. New employment with HHC company, AND they need for me to move forward with licensing in TX, CO, AL, and TN. Last time I took a law exam was 33 years ago. Where do I start? What study material do I buy. Money is no problem, the company will cover all costs and expenses. Time is not a problem, I will be allowed several months.
Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking two MPJEs (maybe more in the future) but not in your states, but I'll share what I have learned so far. honestly for me, even when time and money aren't the problem, it is still some major pain especially if you haven't been taking big tests for a long long time. From reading what others with multiple state licenses describe about their experience, it seems like they mostly study in a similar way.

I'm following the general idea from 75orbetter (a website from a pharmacist licensed in 16 states or so). Basically getting dr c's federal law book instead of the reiss's book (it is better streamlined for the MPJE and is more up to date than Reiss, and also shorter). Google "dr c's ultimate federal law review 2021". Check out his website. He even has a book for texas MPJE too.

In dr c's federal book, read the first part about mpje competency statements. It seems to be the framework of studying for all states. He tells you when you need to look up info from your state to complete the puzzle. For example, how long do you need to keep certain records is almost always state specific (doesn't matter which law is stricter). then look it up in the state's laws. It is too overwhelming to read all those state laws without knowing what you need to look for.

I would also spend more time focusing on things dealing with retail pharmacy than other settings. Probably 60% of these tests are retail stuff. what stuff is behind the counter? what documents do you need to or submit when you open/close your business? how soon do you need to notify the board if such and such happens? will you fill this prescription with missing this and that? what can your interns or techs do and not do? who need to upload and check PDMP? who can prescribe, any limit on what they can prescribe?

I think after taking your first MPJE in the series, everything would go much smoother.

Hoping for the best.

Reactions: 1 users