MD & DO Need help revising school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReneeM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've got a list started but I'm concerned that it may be too short. All of my family is on the west coast or in Chicago so I would prefer to leave OK and be closer to a support system if possible. Would DO schools interview me with my stats? I'm just worried they may assume I'll go somewhere else.
Stats:
3.8 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, 514 MCAT 127/128/130/129

Ethnicity:
Caucasian/Algerian

Clinical Experience:
5 years of patient care for 24-40 hours / week while attending school

Volunteering:
ER: ~150hours
Hospice: only about 30 hours, but I will be continuing for the next year

Research:
1 years, 1 poster presentation

Shadowing:
Internal Medicine- 24 hours (continuing), Neurology 6 hours, Family Medicine 6 hours

Leadership:
College Representative on an advisory board- 1 year
Organic Chemistry tutor- 1 year

Honors & Awards:
I've been on the Dean's list several semesters (idk if that matters), and recieved a few scholarships (again, does that matter?)
  1. OSU (DO)
  2. OU-School of Community Medicine and OKC tracks
  3. PNWU (DO)
  4. Chicago- R.F.
  5. Tulane
  6. Albert Einstein (Too much of a reach?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your school list confuses me as to what you want, you have everything from a DO school far away from your home state and Albert Einstein? With your stats you shouldn't need to apply DO. I would suggest 20 or so MD schools and a well thought out list, do you have the MSAR? Unfortunately the west coast schools would be rather difficult for someone out of state (i.e. California)

Apply to your Oklahoma state schools and consider these schools:
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Wake Forest
Miami
While there are several schools in the Chicago area on this list I did not include any in CA since those schools are difficult to get into even for CA residents. You could try Loma Linda but read on their website about their requirements for student behavior.

Your school list confuses me as to what you want, you have everything from a DO school far away from your home state and Albert Einstein? With your stats you shouldn't need to apply DO. I would suggest 20 or so MD schools and a well thought out list, do you have the MSAR? Unfortunately the west coast schools would be rather difficult for someone out of state (i.e. California)

I wasn't doing very well on my practice exams for the MCAT when I started touring schools so I thought I might have to go DO. I have connections to those two the DO schools so I left them on my list.

Reactions: 1 user