Need help to find money for school? Any original suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skypt123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to enter my third year into my AuD program, and I have no way to pay my living expenses. I've tried every resource I can think of. Can't get the Grad plus b/c I have bad credit, and no co-signer. Already get Stafford, and that is not enough. Was working, but recently got laid off, and desperately looking for another job (we all know how bad it is out there). I have talked to my school's financial aid, and so far they have not come up with anything. I am applying for scholarships, but I needed help yesterday. I'm tapped out of ideas. Can anybody think of anything original, or out-the-box I'm missing? I've already loss my car, and about to lose my apartment. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm not an audiology student yet. Actually I'm still working on my bachelor's degree. So I may not be much help here. However, I have been in your shoes in a way and I know how you feel. Have you tried getting any private loans? There are many loan programs out there for professional students. Think about med students. Their tuition is like $40,000 a year plus they still need a place to live. I would do some research online for loan programs. Also, keep keep keep looking for some part time work. What did you major in for your bachelors? Try looking on indeed.com -- they have a TON of jobs. That's where I've found my last two jobs. Also, craigslist has job postings. Even your college should have work-study or other positions available. Maybe even try an employment agency or post your resume on careerbuilder.com. You'd be amazed how easy it is for people with college degrees to find a job. With the economy in the crapper right now unemployment is rising quickly. However, statistics will show that the majority of the people who are unemployed only have a high school diploma. My last bit of advice is regarding your living situation. I'm sure there are plenty of other students in a financial bind that need a roomate. Try craigslist or other websites to find one. Perhaps ask a friend if you can shack up with them temporarily. Oh one more thing you could do to earn money. This is going to sound a little crazy but...have you ever donated plasma? I have some friends that made over $300 a month by donating plasma 3x a week. It only takes an hour. Do a google search for plasma donation centers in your area. Again, I know it sounds crazy, but it is an easy way to earn cash. Well I hope I've helped. Keep your chin up and I really hope everything works out for you!

i've seen help wanted ads for elderly or partially disabled people who offer accommodation and small salary in exchange for help with daily living. you might want to look into that. what about applying for an RA position in the dorms? they usually come with housing. it's probably too late now but maybe next semester.