Need Help to raise my MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dear pre-meds/med student.
I need tips/tricks/advice on how to succeed the mcat
- Took Princeton Review Course and studied the entire summer
- Did about 15 practice exams
- Got 19 on real test *cry* I know
- I’m very stressed about the MCAT. I am a very hardworking and very good student. But a horrible test taker, never in my life had to take a standardized test since I finished HS outside of the US
- English is my 3rd language. Thus makes reading comprehension and the whole verbal section impossible

- I really don’t know how else to study. Usually when I work hard on something I get the results and I have to work hard for everything. But for the MCAT exam that doesn’t seem to be enough.
- Any advice?
- I won’t apply with score of 19. That’s like playing lottery and hoping to win. I want this too much to just leave it for chance.
I am starting to study again. Using some ExamKracker material and ordering the exams from the aamc webiste which is another 200$ :(

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you and happy holidays.

PS. I am new. Is this the right location to post Qs?

Members don't see this ad.

- I’m very stressed about the MCAT. I am a very hardworking and very good student. But a horrible test taker, never in my life had to take a standardized test since I finished HS outside of the US
- English is my 3rd language. Thus makes reading comprehension and the whole verbal section impossible

- I really don’t know how else to study. Usually when I work hard on something I get the results and I have to work hard for everything. But for the MCAT exam that doesn’t seem to be enough.
- Any advice?
- I won’t apply with score of 19. That’s like playing lottery and hoping to win. I want this too much to just leave it for chance.
I am starting to study again. Using some ExamKracker material and ordering the exams from the aamc webiste which is another 200$ :(

MCAT forum below is a better place....

I would look into Berkeley review materials.....and try and improve your reading comp skills or you will never get there. The MCAT is nothing more than that.....

It sounds like your two main problems are English comprehension and anxiety. Did you do better on your practice tests than on the actual exam? The MCAT forum could provide you better advice on both of these issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
even though i haven't take the mcat yet but i think the problem in your situation is your lack of confidence when taking the test. you just have to believe in yourself and have trust in your abilities. hope this helped and good luck.

even though i haven't take the mcat yet but i think the problem in your situation is your lack of confidence when taking the test. you just have to believe in yourself and have trust in your abilities. hope this helped and good luck.

not really...if you cant comprehend the written language well enough to get the fine detail out of the passages then you are going to have a problem no matter how much confidence you have....

- Any advice?

What was the breakdown of your score, and how were your practice tests before taking the real MCAT?

not really...if you cant comprehend the written language well enough to get the fine detail out of the passages then you are going to have a problem no matter how much confidence you have....

I don't think I ever got any "fine details" out of a VR passage and it may be too time consuming to be concerned with details. I just read for the main idea and was able to draw conclusions based on it and came away with a 10.

I don't think I ever got any "fine details" out of a VR passage and it may be too time consuming to be concerned with details. I just read for the main idea and was able to draw conclusions based on it and came away with a 10.

but you got enough of the detail out to be fine....the OP cant do that based on their scores.