Need help with CL fellowship rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batman's Underwear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been working on the rank list for CL fellowship but it is very difficult to gauge a program especially everything is via Zoom. My colleagues have recommended that geographical preference should be highly considered and I agree with them: but unfortunately I am not sure where I will be settling. My attending told me that I should go for the name value if I am not sure where I would be settling, but I understand that overall name value does not equate to the quality of the fellowship program.

That being said, any inputs to my impression will be very appreciated to the below programs.

UTSW - Dallas is super cool city, very diverse. Cheap rent, great restaurants. Great name value, amazing faculties. Weather does not bother me at all. I have some distant family members here, and I visited about three times.
Georgetown - Amazing faculties, you get to spend 6 months at NIH seeing patients who are sent from everywhere. No information on name value. My parents are in the area
Emory -People are amazing, programs are amazing but the city..... My distant family members lives here, great food, diverse
UMD - Strong program, Proactive CL but the the city is Baltimore...
GWU-Innova - Friendly people, expanding hospital, my parents are in the area
Johns Hopkins -
VCU - Dr. Levenson is in VCU and he is a great guy, however it was hard for me to distinguish between the role of resident and the role of fellow.

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I chose my fellowship based on where I wanted to live and practice and had seats available. After that I narrowed it down to programs that would train me the most as opposed to use me for cheap labor. Sounds like you should avoid VCU and UMD. Keep John's Hopkins location in mind, that's why I didn't go there. I'll private message you where I trained, I thought overall it was very good.

Edit: SDN says I can't message you because your profile is restricted. PM me if you are interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Atlanta is a rock-solid city unless the horrendous heat in the summer is a huge concern. Amazing airport to get anywhere you want in the world. Cool midtown area and great walking path going through parks/bars/restaurants. Georgia Tech and Emery are both great universities to add education to the area. The actual area Emery is located is really nice, not too far trendy parts of the city but also just a bit out of the way of things. I know nothing about CL programs but I wouldn't avoid it just because it's in Atlanta.

Members don't see this ad :)
Atlanta is a rock-solid city unless the horrendous heat in the summer is a huge concern. Amazing airport to get anywhere you want in the world. Cool midtown area and great walking path going through parks/bars/restaurants. Georgia Tech and Emery are both great universities to add education to the area. The actual area Emery is located is really nice, not too far trendy parts of the city but also just a bit out of the way of things. I know nothing about CL programs but I wouldn't avoid it just because it's in Atlanta.
Yeah, I'd echo this sentiment and share that Atlanta is an amazing and affordable city with access to diverse communities and culture, great city parks and nearby mountains. Downsides are yes the hot humid summers (can cool down in a pool or local swimming holes) and really terrible traffic. Emory's psychiatry department is also very well respected within their health system and you would get solid exposure within their various hospitals. It sounds like you're leaning towards Dallas though, which is also a fantastic place to train.

Yeah, I'd echo this sentiment and share that Atlanta is an amazing and affordable city with access to diverse communities and culture, great city parks and nearby mountains. Downsides are yes the hot humid summers (can cool down in a pool or local swimming holes) and really terrible traffic. Emory's psychiatry department is also very well respected within their health system and you would get solid exposure within their various hospitals. It sounds like you're leaning towards Dallas though, which is also a fantastic place to train.

Third this. Atlanta is amazing and Emory psychiatry is a terrific place to train whether for general training or specialty.