Need help with school list GPA 3.98, MCAT 521

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goldxz

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm applying in the summer and would like some recommendations. I would say 2 big factors are tuition and location. Ideally, I would also want schools that require Casper. Haven't taken PREview yet but am planning to take it June-July.

GPA: 3.98 in Chemistry (UC Irvine), MCAT: 521
State of residence: California
Ethnicity: Vietnamese - Immigrant (2016)
Volunteer: 200 hours volunteer in the ER over 1 year. About 80-90 hours of non-clinical volunteer.
Research: ~1 year of research in Ecology where I got to be the first author in the published paper, also got 1 oral presentation from it.
Shadowing: couldn't find any opportunities so I'm working as an ER scribe starting next week to compensate for it.
Others: Worked as a peer tutor and SI Leader for an organic chemistry class for 1 year.

So far I'm thinking of applying to all the UCs except UCI since I don't have the one upper bio class required. I'm open to any suggestions and input
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any non clinical volunteering hours? You also need to accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (you could include 50 hours from your scribing) before you submit your application.

Do you have any non clinical volunteering hours? You also need to accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (you could include 50 hours from your scribing) before you submit your application.
Yea i have some 60 hours as Bookshare proofreader and 30ish hour in a local leadership club.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats (assuming you have 50 hours of shadowing when you submit your application)
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine (take the required course this summer or fall at a local college)
UC Davis
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
TCU
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Vermont
Tufts
Cincinnati
Ohio State
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Northwestern
Iowa

I suggest these schools with your stats (assuming you have 50 hours of shadowing when you submit your application)
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine (take the required course this summer or fall at a local college)
UC Davis
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
TCU
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Vermont
Tufts
Cincinnati
Ohio State
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Northwestern
Iowa
Thank you for the input. Do you think my volunteer hours are too low? I had some life-changing events during my first 3 years in college so I couldn't do much EC before covid.

As it stands, California programs are leaning PREview instead of Casper, so good luck with PREview. Vietnamese applicants may be considered URM in California; check school websites and do outreach. Immigrant background also is helpful. Your non-classroom experience hours are lower than par for now. If you have done a lot of community building with other immigrants like yourself, it will help but may not be sufficient.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the input. Do you think my volunteer hours are too low? I had some life-changing events during my first 3 years in college so I couldn't do much EC before covid
Your clinical volunteering hours are adequate but you should increase your shadowing hours to 50 before applying. Your main weakness is your non clinical volunteering. If possible, accumulate 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering, such as homeless shelter, food bank,etc., before you submit your application.

Reactions: 1 users