Need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxstudent2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post, and I don't know where to post this so I am posting it here. I am considering dropping out of pharmacy school. I am in my first year, and for my first semester, I nearly failed three classes but managed to study really hard and barely passed all of them, though with low grades. I am now in my second semester and the same thing is happening. My grades are low and right now there are three classes that I could fail and it would be pretty hard to get my grades up.

I have bad study habits and have been trying to improve them, but my grades are not really getting any higher. I suffer from depression and consider myself a loner. Also, I don't have any friends and may be autistic. I really struggle with trying to make friends. I have gone to multiple therapists but don't feel as if it helps.

I'm not entirely sure why I even went into pharmacy. I did not like it when I started, but trying to improve my grades has made me more interested in the field.

Should I drop out and try to find a field that is better suited to me? (I would be $17,000 in debt though) Should I keep trying to improve my grades and try to pass this semester again and continue with pharmacy?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take a leave of absence at a minimum. You need to find out if there are any things you are interested in, otherwise you really are doubly working against yourself with depression and an unexciting career. Keep getting treatment and get outside and do some exercise. I hope better days are ahead for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the posters above. I would take a leave of absence, if not quit. Take the time to get treatment, and travel the world or explore another career that may interest you.

Computer programming is a very lucrative field which you can get into with ~2 years training/education and minimal student loans, pays very well, is in extremely high demand, and does not require much social contact.

In this order: professional treatment by doctor (preferably not herbal chiropractor naturopathic stuff, but that is my own worthless opinion), leave school for 1+ years to unwind, and learn how to speak to people with speech therapist, friends and family. Seriously, you can be the most knowledgable person in the world but if you cannot give off that vibe as confidence, you won't get hired anywhere. Image is everything these days.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously, you can be the most knowledgable person in the world but if you cannot give off that vibe as confidence, you won't get hired anywhere. Image is everything these days.

Exactly. As a computer programmer or engineer, your work and previous performance can be at least reviewed based on the code you write and your problem solving skills. In pharmacy, sucking up and being charming and well-liked seems to be what matters nowadays.

Don't completely drop out until you have found a backup/second career.

I was fascinated by pharmacy when I started and now I hate it. I would drop out before you accrue too much debt. If you don't like to interact with people then being a pharmacist will be torture. Not trying to be cynical, but if you don't enjoy it now you're in for a rough career.

doesn't seem like pharmacy is right for you... I would quit or take a leave of absence, go travel somewhere, discover new things and relax alittle

17,000 in loan is nothing compared to 100k+

Just out of pure curiosity how much do you study per day?

I am starting school in August and am nervous as well as to how I will handle the course load.

If you truly don't like pharmacy then drop out... if you like pharmacy and are considering dropping out because of your grades/social situation I'd say stick with it and take your studies to a whole new level, I'm sure you can do it.

through all the negative posts i like to input a little positive. pharmacy year 1 to me is a joke. you're not really learning anything until therapeutics kick in, so don't kill yourself over year 1. we had 5-6 people fail year 1, then that was it. we had no one failing year 2, 3, and definitely not year 4. and as previously mentioned, year 1 is a joke. you're not gonna carry it to the board exam, law exam, or wherever you're working in the future... // also personally, a teach wrote in my recommendation letter that i was reserved. my friends think i was not socially open or talkative.. but since working as a pharmacist, i've become more open. although its hella stressful, but thats only b/c i chose to stay with CVS. u just have to find better employment. and if counting pills doesn't put a smile on your face, wait until you see your paychecks. it beats flipping burgers or doing constructions.. // what most ppl like to do is start something and then not finish it. the future is unpredictable, so do your best to survive in this world. // oh yea, it took me 10 years without medications to get out of depression. with meds you should be over it sooner.

Reactions: 1 users