Need honest opinions -- Here's my stats. Name schools that I serve a good chance at.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Monkey MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! Thanks for those who have gone through this process and will be providing me with some input on realistic schools I should shoot for. So this is me:

Graduating 2006 (applying now, my senior year because I'm staying an extra year to finish a masters degree)

Undergraduate Majors: Theatre Arts and Mathematics (Both with Honors -- gosh darn honors thesis were a pain)

BCMP = 3.52
All Others = 3.73
Cum = 3.61
MCAT = 13V 14PS 13 BS O

First and Second Year were very bad (C's and B's); But Junior and Senior years were all maxed out with 23 credits and all A's, including two summers of 21 credits each. Therefore, they hopefully see I matured and can master classes I got A's in such as Biochem I and II, Orgo I and II, Cell Bio, and Genetics.

The extra year I'm taking is to finish a Masters Degree in Applied Mathematics and Statistics.

Now for EC's:
- Intern for half a year (3 hrs a day) in a hospital with a two week department rotation (therefore had a feel for OB/GYN, ER, OR, Endoscopy, Radiology, etc.)
- Two research, *hopeful publication*
- Many dance recitals (because of my major)
- Shadowing of physician
- Volunteer of numerous places
- Ballroom Dance Competition
- Etc. (Groups, Honor Societies, etc. etc)

I mean I would like to go to Duke, Columbia, HARVARD, John Hopkins, Georgetown, Brown, did i say HARVARD? Hahaha (I do like the top tier schools -- but I don't know if I'm just wishing for the impossible)

*** SORRY FOR THE LENGTH. I UNDERSTAND IF YOU GUYS FEEL LIKE KILLING ME!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

You should do very well. Your grades aren't fantastic, it's true, but your MCAT is terrific (few care about the writing sample I've heard), and the dancing will do wonders for you. Adcoms seem to have a thing for those that have very strong activities outside of the directly medical, and that one will be interesting to talk about.

You might want to explain something about how/why you reformed your academics in your PS. You'll certainly be asked about it in interviews.

I don't think it's unrealistic to apply to all the best.

Thanks Brainsucker for the sweet, comforting words. I appreciate it very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wash U might forgive your GPA.

Thanks MWillie. I am wondering how my chips stack against Wash U. :)

If you look at their data, WashU has very high average MCATs. This suggests that they put a lot of stock in the test, more than other schools. (I would bet that Harvard, for example, could have higher average MCATs if they wanted.) Full disclosure: I had a 40 and got an interview and was rejected from WashU. By the way, I hear (from a Brown ugrad buddy) that the PLME kids at Brown are obnoxious and dumb. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks again Brainsucker. May I ask how your experience is at Columbia? A top school in mind because it's in-state for me.

I have no idea. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it, though.

You'll most likely get an interview at Harvard, but as far as getting in -- that will be up to how good of an interviewer you are. Best of luck!

I tend to think you'll get in at a top school if you can explain your weaker points in your app properly, write good Personal Statements, get good LORs, and have a good interview. Good luck.

well, you might do pretty well, but I'm not seeing anything too outstanding about your app (except the MCAT). If you do land some publications though, that'll make you more of a competitive applicant. You've got great stats - but don't put all your hopes just on top 10 schools.

TheProwler said:
well, you might do pretty well, but I'm not seeing anything too outstanding about your app (except the MCAT). If you do land some publications though, that'll make you more of a competitive applicant. You've got great stats - but don't put all your hopes just on top 10 schools.

You do have some great points.