Need inputs and suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm in a dilemma. In the past month I feel like my boss has indirectly asked me to resign from my job. Just recently he basically came out with it and asked me to resign my position as a pharmacy intern. Honestly, I really don't want to because I don't see that will benefit me in any ways, I still need to work while in probation to keep my head away from the books sometimes, making extra money and finishing up the require intern hours that I need. I work close to 10 hours each week and taking the three classes that I wasn't able to pass last fall, which is very doable. I feel like it might possibly can get ugly soon, what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your boss what his reason is to ask you to resign and see if you can solve the problem. Your best move would be doing better at work so that he can't fire you easily.

if you are not making the expectations, then sit down and make a plan as to what is expected. And make sure its company policy and not outrageous things the pharmacist is wanting.
Document. Document. Document. Because if that pharmacist is out of line, you will be asked to recall things.

I so wished I would have done this through my years....I would of had a very saucy diary by now!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's weird, cause I went through the employee evaluation with him and I was rated good, so I definitely met expectations. Obviously he has no good reason to fire me, but it's really sad that I'm asked to resign just because i'm in probational status? I'm really not sure..

If you are struggling with school, then you should work less. Ask him if you can work once every 2 weeks or as needed and ask for more hours during the summer

I would resign sooner rather than later or else he'll just fire you, and you'll have to answer "yes" to the dreaded "have you ever been involuntarily separated from any prior position?" question when you go job hunting.

^ that is a good point. I would also check with your state board of pharmacy and see if you can maintain your intern license when you are on probation.

With my intern position it's not possible to do prn or once every two weeks. Really, 10 hours is very manageable, I did that last semester taking the full course load. Now i just have to pass the classes that I failed last fall.

How about focus on school and not get kicked out?

Reactions: 1 user
I would resign sooner rather than later or else he'll just fire you, and you'll have to answer "yes" to the dreaded "have you ever been involuntarily separated from any prior position?" question when you go job hunting.

Not sure if he can just fire me on the spot without any good reasons? Once rumor spread wouldn't that make the pharmacy look bad?

@aznwiseguy, Why would anyone want to leave a job that's only 10 hours a week? Who can constantly study all the time?

^ people get fired pretty often. It would hurt your rep more than the pharmacy. People are going to assume you couldn't handle it.

Sometimes it is better to accept defeat and move on. Learn from it and do better. Take this as a rock in the road. There will be many. You just have to overcome it.

^ people get fired pretty often. It would hurt your rep more than the pharmacy. People are going to assume you couldn't handle it.

Sometimes it is better to accept defeat and move on. Learn from it and do better. Take this as a rock in the road. There will be many. You just have to overcome it.

This. You're just an intern, no one special, no one will remember you (10 hrs a week? I barely remember the names of students who spend 40 hrs/week 2 weeks after they finish rotation). If you're perceived as dead weight there's a line of other interns waiting out the door who will work for FREE and thank you for it.

Cut your losses and move on. One of the most important relationships you'll have in life is the one with your boss...clearly there is nothing left here if you didn't get the hint the first time to quit. Really, they're doing you a favor keeping you along this long and giving you the privilege of quitting.

First and foremost, I'd be looking for new jobs. If you can get another position, you're better off leaving the place you're not wanted. Simultaneously, you should let your boss know that you're committed to improving to meet their expectations. Offer to do annoying work like prepping for audits and cleaning and stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely you won't be offer a pharmacist position with this company so what is the point of you working for them any longer?

The supervisor probably doesn't want to complete a pile of paperwork in order to get you fired so he is asking you to resign instead. The bottom line is he doesn't want you there. It doesn't benefit you by staying.

This is not like a relationship where you can work your way back into her heart. There is a line of suitors waiting for her and she has already made up her mind that you got to go.

Last edited:
Not sure if he can just fire me on the spot without any good reasons? Once rumor spread wouldn't that make the pharmacy look bad?

@aznwiseguy, Why would anyone want to leave a job that's only 10 hours a week? Who can constantly study all the time?

You failed two classes and you're a semester away from getting kicked out. What the hell should you be doing besides studying? Maybe you should take things more seriously.

You failed two classes and you're a semester away from getting kicked out. What the hell should you be doing besides studying? Maybe you should take things more seriously.

Dude, it's 10 hours a week. I know some people who spend more time than that on the toilet. You can't (productively) study 24/7, and a job is a productive use of non-study time.

I worked ~30+ hrs/week and no big deal, just depends how efficient people are with their study time.

I will admit it also depends how lax your school is with attendance.

How many hours other people work is irrelevant. You have already shown you cannot balance work and school. Doing anything except focusing on school and preventing more repeats/expulsion is unwise. You say you did 10 hours last semester and see where that got you?

Sorry to be harsh, but you really sound like you need a wake up call. You are repeating classes and your manager has asked you to resign. Resign and focus on school. Go back to work after you have nailed your classes.

Reactions: 1 user
The point is I failed those class in the fall, woke up during spring and pass all my classes (took 16 credit hours) while working 10 hours. Doesn't make any sense that they asked me to leave now instead of right when I failed last fall semester. Honestly, how's 10 hours gonna affect my school? Time management is the key, and I got that back last spring. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I'm backing up what I said with what I have already done.

EDIT: Thanks BMBiology, I probably won't get the job later on as a pharmacist there anyways. I will resign, just refuse to comply with their BS excuse of using school as a reason of trying to get me to leave quietly because it doesn't make any sense. They cannot fire me for that reason. Overall, my boss just cannot find a good reason to get rid of me because I worked well there and with the other pharmacists in there.

Last edited:
You need to find out if your company or school has any rules that prohibit you from working while on academic probation and act accordingly.

Regardless of what's right and fair it seems your boss has lost faith in your ability to manage school and work, so you should save face now. Start pushing your resume to other employers if money is a dire need.

It might be time for a little wake up call. People who are doing well at their job are not asked to quit. If it were me my first priority would be to find out why they are asking me to leave to prevent it from happening at my next employer.

I did asked that question, he said the main thing is that he care and wants me to succeed, which is BS since he should have asked me to resign when i first told him that I didn't make it in the fall semester. His other reason was that he told me that their were some complaints about the other staff pharmacists not confidence about my IV compounding preparations. I find that to be very surprising. But what's most hilarious about it was after we finish talking and I walk back into the pharmacy, my other pharmacists ask me to make a whole slew of IV meds while he was busy making labels and other things.

EDIT: Honestly, my boss was very good to me until recently he asked me to resign. I'm very surprised and don't know what's going on.

Last edited:
It's really hard to know what you should do in this ambigious situation, since we can only know your side of it. I think the advice about trying to figure out what you can do to improve is spot on (even in situations where the boss is "out to get" you or making a "mountain out of a molehill", there are undoubtedly still areas you could improve on.)

1) I would look for a new job (assuming you are being honest about being able to work it with your school load.) When you find an acceptable new job, then give your 2 weeks notice.

2) In the meantime I would try to figure out what is wrong. Talk with your boss again, don't be whiny, accusatory, threatening (to get a new job), crying, begging, or anything like that. Just say that you've given some thought as to what he said and you want a 2nd chance to improve and show yourself capable of the work (doesn't matter if you already are capable of the work and your bosses accusation seem way off base to you, say this anyway.) Since he mentioned IV's in your first meeting, ask him how you can improve in this area (does your place of employment have any formal tech training materials as many states require, ask if you can have access to those materials to study.) Assure him that you have worked out a schedule for studying and work and that you will stick to it (if you haven't, you need to do this before talking to him.) When you make mistakes (everyone does), just say you are sorry and ask your boss or the pharmacist on duty, or even a fellow technician for advice on not making that mistake again. Be friendly with ALL your fellow employees and take ALL of their advice to heart. For example, even if you suspect you are smarter then Tech A, if you Tech A give you some advice, thank her/him and incorporate that advice (if the advice seems to be completely illogical/illegal, then talk to your boss or a pharmacist about it....if its just a mater of you not wanting to do things that way, suck it up and do it as y(as long as your co-workers are giving you advice or even "telling" you what you need to do, they care....when they stop caring at all, they won't talk to you at all.)