Need neuro residents to reply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustbones26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
qwerty

Members don't see this ad.

My how things change.

7 months of inpatient during R2 now? That sucks. Back in the day we basically alternated ward/clinic (and the month of N-surg), which was a pretty nice year. No 1st year electives or research time, and N-rads was crammed in some other time. How many residents you have there nowadays?

Still, if you're doing a lot of stroke/TIA, you should get pretty good at it, which will make your life post-residency easier -- you can dispose of stuff quicker cause you know it better and can make quicker and more efficient decisions.

Don't worry about the way EEG/EMG is taught -- you'll find it's pretty much the same at most other places: nothing til R3 year, and until then you just take what the neurophys guy writes and run with it. At most large academic centers the non-neurophys people don't make any attempt to read EEG or EMG either, so I'm not surprised yours don't.

(For what it's worth, in my ideal residency program, EEG and EMG would be taught in the first 3 months of R2 and you'd spend the next 3 years doing your own studies to learn and continually reinforce. But I don't run the damn world, do I?)

If you're really interested in inpatient monitoring and epilepsy surgery, use one of your 4th year electives (early in the year) to go and work with the epilepsy guys up at HV. They are (or at least were) a good bunch.

Sucks that you only have 2 elective blocks 4th year. I suspect it's because they converted 2 of them to your "research" blocs, which I agree is BS. Not sure if that's a purely internal decision or if the RRC "requires" research blocks nowadays.

As for your outpatient clinic, your program is good at training you to be, as one person once told me, "a primary care neurologist." You should be seeing a lot of "bread and butter" neurology there. Headaches. Back pain. Neuropathy. Psycho/malingering crap. No doubt lots of TBI/PTSD-induced stuff nowadays. Learn it. Live it. Love it (or not!). But that's what general neurologists do. Neimann-Pick Type IV-induced cataplectic attacks just don't come up much in the real world, sorry to say . . .. I kept a log of all my patient diagnoses for my first 3 years of post-residency practice . . . 70% were chronic pain-related.

That's why I've gone the fellowship route. . . :D

Hang in there. Life gets better.

Not there yet, but this is the proposed schedule at my program:

First year: Prelim IM year with 1.5 months of neuro, .5 months of research, and .5 months of Geriatrics. 1/2 day of neurology clinic per week.

PGY2:
4-5 months inpatient at primary hospital
1-2 months consults at outside hospital
1-2 months VA consults and outpatient
2 months outpatient clinics
1 month epilepsy
(6 weeks of nightfloat mixed in)

PGY3:
2-3 months of general consults
2-3 months of stroke consults
3 months of pediatrics
1 month of psych