Need Re-app Advice/critique plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycolysis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I am putting this thread here because I plan on being a re-applicant but I have some questions about SMPs, so I apologize if this thread should be elsewhere. Thanks for looking this over and responding, I really appreciate any feedback!

Some background, graduated a few years ago with a BS in Kinesology (3.32) and an MS in Nutrition, (3.4) so it's been awhile since I've done real coursework. Was not premed major, then transferred schools. Didn't do so well at the first college, greatly improved at other school, note similar university level. Also I have an embarrassing C- from a Gen Chem, way before I thought about medicine. A later adviser told me not to retake/call adcoms first. I did call adcoms last year and they said it would be taken into consideration with all my other coursework, and hold off on retaking...

Took the MCAT in 2008 got a 30Q, took it again last July 2012, 35R (P11, V11, B13) all thanks to SDN study tips.

I have some recent EC's: volunteering (hospital ER and local hospice care) ~200+ hours so far. Shadowing 3 different docs etc., free self defense/anti-bullying clinics.

Biggest issue: 3 years since I graduated and I've been taking care of increasingly elderly and sick family members full time while occasionally working as personal trainer. This has not put me in a good position to apply, but unthinkingly I did anyways and late...thus my current self-imposed situation.

Reasons I am considering SMP: I need to get back into studying and demonstrate academic ability and commitment. Nutrition does not give me the hard science for this. Also possible exposure to research and can bridge into other research degrees while waiting on med apps.

The quick:
Current stats: Not trad app, 28yo, MCAT 35R, but 3 year old GPA: cum 3.36. sci 3.39 (bcpm 3.31), grad gpa 3.43

1. I am primarily interested in DO programs, but not averse to MD if possible. My question is would an SMP help me become a better candidate?

2. What about that C- in one Gen Chem? Ideas?

3. Should I try to apply again in June OR wait till 'year of improvement' is over, then apply before my mcat expires?

4. Other ideas for improving my re-application?

Thanks again for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

definitely apply before your MCAT score expires. I think you can get into an established DO school if you apply this year as long as you have sufficient clinical experiences. schools take into consideration if you have to take care of loved ones with illnesses full time so be sure to mention that or write about it I. A special circumstances essay. I think you have a good shot of getting into a low to mid tier md school or your state school if you have clinical experience and shadowing. research is not a requirement and I got in to an MD without it with a 3.5ish and high 20s MCAT. what Ecs do you have? I took a year off because I had lackluster ECs and I think it was sufficient time to bulk them up. I also didn't really have my LORs in order. If you can get good LORs and have decent ECs I'd apply now unless you are shooting for a high tier MD school. I don't think an SMP is totally necessary. your gpa is at least acceptable for DO schools. your grad gpa seems a little concerning as you should have worked hard to redeem yourself from a low ugrad gpa. Do you really want to risk performing poorly in an SMP when your gpa is fine for DO schools? It'll pretty much sink your chances if you perform badly in another grad program or worse. Btw I got 2 cs and a W in prereqs and was not asked about them. they pretty much just look at your overall gpa and sgpa. I just took a few science courses over my gap year at the easier local college (and got As) and bulked up on ECS. seemed to work for me.

Last edited: