Need recommendation on class schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekman55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last semester I took Molecular and Cellular Biology with lab. It went well, and I am trying to figure out how to finish up in time to take the MCAT at the end of the Spring 2016.

Here is my schedule:

Fall 14
Biology 1 + lab (molecular and cellular)

Spring 15
Biology 2 + lab (genetics)

Summer 15
Psychology 1st 5 weeks
Sociology 2nd 5 weeks

Fall 15
Organic Chem 1 with lab

Now here is where it is tricky. I still need to take Biochemistry but I was planning to use the entire Spring 16 to study for the MCAT. Do you think it is feasible to study for the MCAT and take Biochemistry? Or should I put off Biochemistry until Fall 16. With applying to school Summer 16, I will have a year left to either continue to take classes or to just sit and wait. Keep in mind I am working full-time during this and volunteering on Saturdays for 4-8 hrs.

I think I need to take Biochemistry before taking the MCAT, but I'm not sure how much prep the MCAT will require.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do it. Take Biochem with the review for MCAT.

Is it absolutely necessary that you matriculate Fall 2016?
How will you feel if you are unsuccessful for this particular cycle ?

Given you are working a full-time job, I would take Biochem Fall 2016 and use the free time to beef up the application (shadowing? Research ? ). And then take the necessary time to adjust to the new MCAT and study for it?
I think this would delay your application by a year. Not sure if thats something you want to do. But the golden rule is, "take it when you feel ready".

But thats just me. I dont like rushing and then feeling sorry for it. I like to take my time with things and make a calculated progress. In other words I wouldnt take the MCAT without taking the course. And I wouldnt study for the MCAT with Biochem all along while working full time. This might be feasible if now you are studying for each section, so that when Fall 2016 roles around you have only biochem and little review left.

Dont rush. But if you can do it, then go for it. The pressure will be similar to medical school classes + step1 exam.

Best of wishes :bookworm:

Members don't see this ad :)
How about:

Organic 1 - June
Psych - July
Biochemistry 1 - Fall
Sociology & MCAT - Spring

I assume you have a career job at the moment? I'm planning on 16 hours plus MCAT study next spring while working some undetermined part time job. Saying that sounds guilty. Perhaps I'll cut it to 12 hours, but plenty of people study for and kill the exam during a full semester. I don't like the one size fits all "put your life on hold for 3 months of solitary confinement, or else" mentality regarding MCAT prep. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice. I'm a veteran, and my education benefits will expire in 2019, so I'm really trying to get in for the upcoming application year, or in the end its going to cost me out of pocket one whole year of medical school that would have been otherwise paid for.

I already took Ochem this past fall and got a B. Took sociology last fall and got an A. Taking Psychology101 now, halfway through (its a january course) and I have a 97.5% so far. I took AP Physics, did quite well, and I have tutored physics to seniors for two years, so I feel pretty comfortable with the material. Plus I read on Rate My Professors, that the class I'm taking is fairly easy and even open book tests, which sounds doable. Currently I'm working as a scribe very part time at the hospital, I have over 40 hours so far, and I will continue to scribe until I matriculate. The MCAT, I'm going to take a Kaplan Test Prep, so that will take up about 10-12 hours per week. My Biochem, I'm going to take intensive from March to June...its an at your own pace type of class through UNE, which sounds doable. I'm planning on taking the April 18 exam, and if I do well I'll apply for 2016, if I don't I'll push it another year unfortunately. I agree on not rushing, but I'm willing to sacrifice other things in my life like hanging out with my friends etc. over the next 4 months to save myself hopefully a years worth of tuition.

Given you are working a full-time job, I would take Biochem Fall 2016 and use the free time to beef up the application (shadowing? Research ? ). And then take the necessary time to adjust to the new MCAT and study for it?
I think this would delay your application by a year. Not sure if thats something you want to do. But the golden rule is, "take it when you feel ready".

But thats just me. I dont like rushing and then feeling sorry for it. I like to take my time with things and make a calculated progress. In other words I wouldnt take the MCAT without taking the course. And I wouldnt study for the MCAT with Biochem all along while working full time. This might be feasible if now you are studying for each section, so that when Fall 2016 roles around you have only biochem and little review left.

Dont rush. But if you can do it, then go for it. The pressure will be similar to medical school classes + step1 exam.

Taking biochem, working full time, and adequately preparing for the MCAT is a very difficult proposition. However, you can start to prepare for the MCAT and take a mid summer admin date of the MCAT and do well. However, if you're working full time while prepping for the MCAT, I'd consider giving yourself additional time (ie. several months). I tried a similar approach this fall and found that maintaining a strict mcat study schedule amongst the rest of the obligations was exceedingly difficult and sometimes impossible.

Preparing for the MCAT is equivalent to a full time job in itself. I'm studying an average of 8-10 hrs a day, everyday for 6 weeks and feel like I'm still a bit short on time. The addition of two new sections won't make the prep any easier.

I also didn't see a mention of Ochem II... This you'll need.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, most of the schools I'm looking at will take Biochem as a substitute, but I will be taking Ochem II in the fall of 2015.

Got ya, for the new MCAT you'll need both...

What Quik said, you should need both.

Unless you can cut back your hours (my personal recommendation), you're biting off more than you can chew with biochem, work and volunteer AND MCAT study. Something has to give.

Strongly recommend you cut the hours at work down by at least 10 a week during that time, regardless if you take biochem or not.

What Quik said, you should need both.

Unless you can cut back your hours (my personal recommendation), you're biting off more than you can chew with biochem, work and volunteer AND MCAT study. Something has to give.

Strongly recommend you cut the hours at work down by at least 10 a week during that time, regardless if you take biochem or not.

Yeah, if it were only that easy...it just means i have 10 hours less to myself during the week and less sleep, lol. Thanks for the advice.

Sorry for the delay in response. I have been pretty busy with work travel and getting the semester off to a good start!

I'd prefer to not delay any more than I have to. I would say that I am currently not that excited about my current situation so if I have to work a bit harder to speed up the process by a year I will do that.

How about:

Organic 1 - June
Psych - July
Biochemistry 1 - Fall
Sociology & MCAT - Spring

I assume you have a career job at the moment? I'm planning on 16 hours plus MCAT study next spring while working some undetermined part time job. Saying that sounds guilty. Perhaps I'll cut it to 12 hours, but plenty of people study for and kill the exam during a full semester. I don't like the one size fits all "put your life on hold for 3 months of solitary confinement, or else" mentality regarding MCAT prep. Good luck!

Unfortunately, I cannot do the OChem in the summer. The summer Ochem class requires too long of class during the day and lab period every day. While my work hours are flexible, it wouldn't be acceptable to my boss to be gone for half of the day everyday during the normal working hours. If I can somehow swing Ochem in the summer, that would be my #1 choice.

Yeah I have a salary engineering job. Some weeks I work 40 hours, others I work 60. The 60 hour weeks are pretty rare, maybe once every few months and for a couple weeks at a time. I may need to cut my volunteer time the semester I decide to study for the MCAT. I think it will work as long as I commit to studying in the evening instead of having free time :)

I have heard most schools will only be requiring one semester of OChem now. I will need to review any gaps of Ochem II that might be on the MCAT though. Good point.

Sorry for the delay in response. I have been pretty busy with work travel and getting the semester off to a good start!

I'd prefer to not delay any more than I have to. I would say that I am currently not that excited about my current situation so if I have to work a bit harder to speed up the process by a year I will do that.

Unfortunately, I cannot do the OChem in the summer. The summer Ochem class requires too long of class during the day and lab period every day. While my work hours are flexible, it wouldn't be acceptable to my boss to be gone for half of the day everyday during the normal working hours. If I can somehow swing Ochem in the summer, that would be my #1 choice.

Yeah I have a salary engineering job. Some weeks I work 40 hours, others I work 60. The 60 hour weeks are pretty rare, maybe once every few months and for a couple weeks at a time. I may need to cut my volunteer time the semester I decide to study for the MCAT. I think it will work as long as I commit to studying in the evening instead of having free time :)

I have heard most schools will only be requiring one semester of OChem now. I will need to review any gaps of Ochem II that might be on the MCAT though. Good point.

I'm in a similar situation to you. Have an engineering job, 8-5 mostly, can miss some hours during the day but not a lot. It's tough working full time and finding a school with in a reasonable driving distance to be able to take the classes you need. In regards to Ochem II, not all schools require it some will take Biochemistry in place of Ochem II. Do you have the msar? Definitely worth the $22 investment, gives you all the specifics for each school. Also, come up with a list of all the schools you want, and call and see who requires what, do they take cc classes, online classes, etc? That's what I have been doing and found it to be a fairly accurate process so far. You can also ask more questions about the programs etc.

I'm in a similar situation to you. Have an engineering job, 8-5 mostly, can miss some hours during the day but not a lot. It's tough working full time and finding a school with in a reasonable driving distance to be able to take the classes you need. In regards to Ochem II, not all schools require it some will take Biochemistry in place of Ochem II. Do you have the msar? Definitely worth the $22 investment, gives you all the specifics for each school. Also, come up with a list of all the schools you want, and call and see who requires what, do they take cc classes, online classes, etc? That's what I have been doing and found it to be a fairly accurate process so far. You can also ask more questions about the programs etc.

Yeah, good to hear I'm not the only one in a similar position :)

I don't have the MSAR yet. I may look into that because I have been thinking about taking my psychology/sociology classes either online or at a community college to save money. I need to make sure the schools I am considering would accept that. Honestly, I'm not sure what schools I am going to apply for yet except locally in Colorado and then probably some school back home and also on the West coast.