Need Retainer help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DieselPetrolGrl

twisterChamp&so much more
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven?t worn my retainer for about 12 months
Should I try to make it fit anyways..it hurts a lot. But I can MAKE it fit!
Or should I call a orthodontist?also if so can I just mail it and a supersized pic of my face and $20 to one of ya?ll?

Members don't see this ad.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
I haven?t worn my retainer for about 12 months
Should I try to make it fit anyways..it hurts a lot. But I can MAKE it fit!
Or should I call a orthodontist?also if so can I just mail it and a supersized pic of my face and $20 to one of ya?ll?

I hope you are joking about sending it to one of us!!!! Yeah, I would call the orthodontist and see what they say. They may want to get you into a finger spring (different type of retainer) if your teeth have moved a lot. If not, they may make a regular retainer to hold your teeth where they are at, but let them decide.

to the OP:

Do what C132 says and go back to your orthodontist. You should NOT attempt to jam that retainer in if it no longer fits, because it will exert excessive force on your teeth and cause injury to the tissues that surround your teeth such as the periodontal ligament. The injury will do bad things like cause your tooth roots to resorb, or worse.

HTH.

Members don't see this ad :)
good i am glad i asked bc i wore them for 2 hrs and couldnt get them off and got a bad headache and my mouth feels like someone punched me with brass knuckles on..off to the orthodontist tomorrow
THANKS!
ps: i wouldnt mind mailing them..i would clean them 1st..really good..with denture cleaner!

i used to jam my retainers back in like you were, it hurt to put the upper one in so much i cried each time. finally i gave it up, if i am dissatisfied with my teeth in the future i will prob go back into (clear!) braces for a few months and then have a new retainer made. at the time i didn't know anything about PDL and root resorption... sure am glad i didn't have the willpower to continue jamming them in like that! :eek: