Need some advice for Healthcare Route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jimmy Chui

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jimmy, 26 BA in History. I wasn't motivated in college and kind of slacked off. I recently did some reflecting on my life and I have decided to go into the healthcare route. I have an interest in several fields in healthcare. I am interested in becoming a NP, PA, OT, PT, and MD. I know I have to narrow down my choices. I am also trying to be realistic as well. I know my GPA isn't as strong as I like it to be for applying to med school, But I think I have a shot at the OT, PT, PA and NP schools. I've been doing some research on this PA's vs. NP's. From my understanding PA's and NP's are virtually the same. There aren't many PA schools in California. I am wondering if they are being phased out of the healthcare system? I am also interested in PT because I had ACL reconstruction a couple years ago and did PT. I am currently working at a PT office and I've been shadowing some of the PT's. The work seems ok. I've been questioning if I still want to be a PT. If you guys have any advice. I would love to read your comments.

-Jimmy Chui

Members don't see this ad.

OK, first you have to do the research and try your best to find out what each of those things are, what they do, what they entail--the whole shebang. OT and PT are worlds apart from NP or PA. And as you may know, OT is different from PT. And then MD/DO are in a world of their own in terms of what they do, what it takes to get there, and what it costs both financially and otherwise, to get there. You simply must do the research, narrow things down to what you are most interested, and then try and shadow with some people that do these things.

If you are still interested in medicine, look at what's going to be demanded of you to gain entry into school--many hoops--it's really a lot--even if you are just barely non-trad. ;) Maybe take some science courses that could be applied to most of those fields--like Gen Bio, Gen Chem, etc. While you are doing that, shadow some physicians, and volunteer in a busy hospital or clinic. EDs are fun, busy, crazy, aggravating, and great places to get insight, but sometimes the adrenalin rush gives you a false perspective. Still, it's a great place to get exposure, clinically speaking. It's just so not all adrenal-fun all the time. There are tons of PITA things you must be exposed to, and actually some of the less stressful of these are what you see, touch, smell, hear, and wow, even sometimes taste. I won't tell you how I know about the later. But it caught me by surprise one crazy night. Luckily I was able to gargle with a ton of H2O2 and diluted KI, brush my mouth out, and then do it all over again. Another good reason to keep your mouth shut while caring for patients. LOL

Anyway, good luck to you. Narrow down your choices some more according to interest. Take some general natural sciences that could be applied to either a secondary degree, continue to research and shadow docs, NPs, PAs--and well, you have the PT shadowing, so that's down, but then you absolutely must include MD/DOs. The more shadowing the better. The more clinical exposure the better. If still interested in the NP, PA, or MD/DO, get lots of clinical exposure in a hospital--preferably acute care, critical care, or emergency. Get down and dirty with it, and then you will have a better idea if it's something you are willing to go after--for a long time--taking on a lot of financial expense--giving up a lot of other things in life. I mean there are plenty of threads that bemoan the pain, trials, and tribulations of becoming a physician. You can't miss them if you research the site.

Happy Reading!

Last edited: