need some advice (non-traditional)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjsong33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,
I'm a long time lurker and am finally reaching out.. a little anxious and nervous but I'm looking for some honest feedback/advice.

I graduated from a top university in 2008 with a degree in Biochemistry. I’ve been a full-time (active duty) Air Force officer since I graduated and am now ready to pursue dentistry.
Here are my stats:
-Undergrad GPA: overall 3.14, science ~3.05
—no grad or post bac (I’m making excuses but a full-time air force job and deployments made it difficult)
-DAT (taking DAT next Friday)
-letters of rec – I’m lacking because I lost touch with my undergrad professors and haven’t taken any grad/post-bac classes; I do have letters from a local air force dentist and my supervisor
-volunteer/shadowing; 45 hours shadowing at the dental clinic on base (and 50+ more from undergrad shadowing) and I have a lot of volunteer hours (we’re highly encouraged to get involved in the community as military members)
-work experience- lots of experience and leadership from being an air force officer for the last seven years (and I believe this is an area where I can shine).

I understand that my application package for the 2015-2016 cycle is below-average. Even if I did well on the DAT I feel that my application package could be, at most, average. I also didn’t consider applying this cycle until June which is why I’m trying to put my application together as quickly as possible

There is an opportunity to help my stats. I have a chance to go to a university and instruct ROTC cadets as a faculty member to teach/mentor undergrad ROTC students about the Air Force. I was looking specifically at universities with dental programs. ROTC instructor positions are 2 years long so my timeline would extend two years. I may have the ability to take classes on the side as a non-matriculated student in order to make up my GPA (C in Genetics and Biochem 2) and to add other pre-reqs (microbiology) that some dental schools require. This also gives me a chance to get letters of recommendation from science professors (assuming I do well in the classes).

What are your thoughts on my situation? Will taking post-bac classes help my low-GPA? I'm concerned that even getting a high DAT score will not balance out my extremely low GPA.

I understand that at my disadvantaged state I should have applied earlier or maybe not apply at all until I take additional classes, get better LORs, and achieve a good DAT score. I've always wanted to go to dental school but was a lazy, immature student during undergrad. I feel that I've matured a lot since graduating and am ready to show that by taking post-bac classes, getting good LORs, and by hopefully crushing the DAT in the next 1.5 years (if the DAT score I get next Friday isn't good enough). Is it even possible to overcome my low undergrad GPA?

Is there anything else I'm not considering. I appreciate any and all advice.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, I would take the two years to improve application but I believe some schools only accept DAT scores within the past 2 years so you might want to look into that.

Hey there!

I believe that you have the right mindset and that you have addressed your maturity issue (don't worry, we all go through it!). Regarding your GPA, it's not like you have a 2.4 or something. I personally would do a post bac formal or informal. For formal, you would have to search for programs around the country. These programs usually have connections to dental schools and that if you maintain a certain GPA in the program with the right DAT, you will be guaranteed an interview or acceptance to that dental school. They are usually competitive to get in and can be pricey. Informal post bac you simply take classes at a 4 year school. If you still have upper level bio classes to take or need to retake prereqs that are D or lower, I highly recommend this if you can't get into a formal program (it's usually cheaper too). From what adcoms and deans have told me, any sort of program or post bac classes will help as long as you do well (3.7+ in it) and improve the overall application.

Regarding the DAT, some schools won't take scores older than 2 years. Some won't take it older than 3 years. In Texas, your scores are good for up to 5 years. Personally, I would not take your DAT now until you have completed your classes in a post bac otherwise your scores will be no good (although...I would contact the dental schools and let them know your situation. Every applicant is different and you will get the best advice from them). Once you do take your DAT, I would aim for 22+. Hell, aim for the highest and you'll still land amongst the stars( cheesy but hey, I like it haha).

If you do decide to do a masters, I would make darn sure that you do well. Otherwise you may be wasting serious money. In your situation, I personally would not recommend a masters in bio or biomedical sciences for the reasons I mentioned above about post bac and DAT.

I hope I answered your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have more! :)