Need some advice NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scott1452

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a going to be senior at RWU in Rhode Island and I recently as in today was accepted to NYCPM. When I was there I thought it was nice however the deal is its a 3+4 program and I wouldn't be doing my senior year at RWU rather going to pod school next month practically. It a lot to think about and they need an answer by next tuesday. I like the profession but everything is so quick and i'm just nervous to make the wrong choice.

The way it works with the agreement is after my first year there I will receive my undergrad degree so if I decide its not for me I wont at least lose my undergrad.

NYCPM also offered a 6k scholarship a year.

In terms of housing at the moment I may live at home for at least the first month to adjust since I havent had to much time and than look for a apartment outside the city and take the train in.

When I visited I never felt unsafe and the train I take it literally 30 second walk from the school.

The first year classes I find very interesting even more than the classes im registered for at RWU so thats good. Im just afraid that podiatry isn't 100% for me because I haven't had so much time to think about it. I have however researched and read a lot about it.

So any advice should I jump into the real world?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not 100% sure then don't accept it. That simple.

Although on the flip side, as long as you complete the first year you get an honorary bachelors which is lessening factor.

Personally if I was able to do this, then I would definitely take it. It's a year less of undergrad, and that's a year closer to residency so one year faster to practicing medicine on your own.
I'm on the flip side that I will finish my degree and then have to take a gap year as I won't finish my pre-reqs tills the fall of my senior semester. Yay lol.

Do it ONLY if you know you want to be a podiatrist. If you want to be a podiatrist I wouldn't skip this opportunity.

Personally, I would not go for it just yet. At the moment you seem unsure about podiatry and are rushing into it. This will be a huge mistake if you decide it is not for you. You are gambling on your undergrad degree and NYCPM holds it in their hands. Let's say you didn't make it through first semester (not saying you wouldn't). What then? Let's say you didn't achieve a certain GPA that's required? Again, you are risking everything you've put into your undergraduate degree. If you are certain of it, read the fine print and know everything, every detail of what the school wants from you. Also, be sure this is what you really want to be - a podiatrist. Only you can make the decision.

If uncertain, you may ask them about deferring admission to next year. That might be a possibility on a case by case. Again, it is a very good opportunity but a risky one at that, especially if you've not made a 100% commitment to pursue it yet. My personal advice is to finish your undergrad degree first and take the extra year to explore more of podiatry, or even other specialties too, until you are 100% sure. Don't rush into it. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users