Need some advice on career paths managed care route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BanBidil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a currently on rotations and set to graduate in 2010. I'm considering several paths and have already got an offer from CVS and another pharmacy w/ a bonus (so much for a the sky is falling eh?). I'm still thinking of opening my own place but was recently intrigued by something….. I'm considering a hybrid Ambcare/Managed care,admin/Pharmcoecon residency. I went to CSHP seminar (in Cali) and got some info but would like so answers from people working in this field:
Couldnt find info on this subject after searching please guide me to it if you find it. Thanks.

Background:
My main reason for looking at a Managed care/ PBM residency is that with the current health care reform agenda, I could use that experience to make a positive contribution to society and increase healthcare coverage (either through the Fed or insurance company). Esp finding a solution for small business owners who need coverage for employees...... I am also considering getting a part time MBA from a top 20 school. I am an AMCP member and know a little about this but would appreciate more info...

Questions:
For those who completed a residency similar to this.... what do you do today? Did you feel that it was worth your while to do a PGY-1 in this field to advance your career goals? Are you in position to move up in your organization to call some shots? Did you have/need an MBA? How is the pay/benefits compared to Retail? If salaried, how many hours do you work?
If you can tell me what your typical day is like, please post or PM me. Any thoughtful answers will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.