Need some advice on summer classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pomegranates

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently in the middle of debating whether I should take both Cell Bio and Genetics in the same summer session at my university. The reason why i'm taking the summer courses is because i'm retaking the courses. I did poorly in them my sophomore years. From what I've already experienced I think cell bio will be mostly memorization of details and genetics will be mostly problem solving. I'm really nervous for Genetics because I struggle with the problem solving aspects of the course. Do you think it is advisable to take two science courses in the same summer session? I really want to ace both classes. Would studying about 3 hours a day after each 2-hr lecture suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, what a coincidence. I took genetics and cell bio over the summer at my uni too. Whether or not it's advisable, tbh it just depends on the person and their overall summer schedule. If you're working many hours a week or have a family, I wouldn't recommend taking both. However, if you'll be dedicated just to coursework, go for it! Just remember that summer classes, especially upper level science classes, move very fast. It's very easy to fall behind if you're not consistent. Even something as simple as one weekend party or a few missed lectures can be disasters. Haven taken classes like biochem would also be a big help since it overlaps so much with the material. Cell bio isn't necessarily all memorization, but it's very concept-heavy. If you understand the concepts, the memorization part is easy. Genetics is, indeed, much more problem-solving, which I, too, struggled with at times. However, just stay one step ahead of the material. Go over lecture material briefly right before lecture so the terminology and concepts aren't completely foreign when being presented. This helped me big time in summer courses. Then go over the material right after lecture, and review all the material for that unit every night before bed. It's not too difficult once you build the routine.

I'd also recommend asking previous students about your prof. The prof I had for cell bio and genetics was super laid back and had rampant extra credit opportunities for his summer students, and pretty much guaranteed a C or better as long as you could show effort, but there's also some profs out there who seem to be total grouches about having to teach in summer.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Genetics is definitely a tough course in my opinion. I took it as a 2 week course during the winter and it was HELL. The professor just bombarded us with information and tested us on the material every 3 days. Taking Cell Bio and Genetics may be doable but doing well in both is another story, depending if you are efficient with your time.