Need some advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mopharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to posting here, but I have been 'lurking' for some time. So anyways I'll get down to the point of my post; I just graduated/got licensed and have taken an overnight job at a local hospital. I trained for the first several months on days while I awaited my license/got oriented, but now that I'm actually on the overnights its pretty rough for me. It sounded like a great idea to do the 7on 7off, but now that I have to actually do it, its not so appealing. so my question is this, do I look for another job or just try to tough it out? Do those of you who have worked this shift have any pointers or any experience on whether it gets better after the first few weeks? My problem is not with the workload at all (its a small hospital around 250 beds and there is always at least one tech there) it is that the overnights are totally trashing my body and sleep patterns (I feel like I'm getting GERD from eating all irregularly and don't seem to be taking restroom/food breaks or eating in any normal pattern). I know I should have 'looked before I lept', but I honestly had no idea it would be this rough on me, because like I said there is rarely any stressful or real 'busy' times at all, its just that I can't take the nights (even though in college I would routinely stay up til say 2 am, but there is a huge difference between that and 7am) Plus, to top it all off my wife is shall we say less than thrilled about me being sleepy/a zombie on my weeks on and taking forever to recover during my week off. sorry about the long post, but I would appreciate any advice (I tried the 'search function' but all the overnight posts only talked about how everyone loved it)

Thanks a million guys!

*also b/c it is a smaller hospital there aren't any alternative shifts to get switched to b/c there aren't any other openings, trust me I've asked; and I also did not take any kind of bonus or sign a contract so I can leave (with proper notice of course) whenever I get something else.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting here, but I have been 'lurking' for some time. So anyways I'll get down to the point of my post; I just graduated/got licensed and have taken an overnight job at a local hospital. I trained for the first several months on days while I awaited my license/got oriented, but now that I'm actually on the overnights its pretty rough for me. It sounded like a great idea to do the 7on 7off, but now that I have to actually do it, its not so appealing. so my question is this, do I look for another job or just try to tough it out? Do those of you who have worked this shift have any pointers or any experience on whether it gets better after the first few weeks? My problem is not with the workload at all (its a small hospital around 250 beds and there is always at least one tech there) it is that the overnights are totally trashing my body and sleep patterns (I feel like I'm getting GERD from eating all irregularly and don't seem to be taking restroom/food breaks or eating in any normal pattern). I know I should have 'looked before I lept', but I honestly had no idea it would be this rough on me, because like I said there is rarely any stressful or real 'busy' times at all, its just that I can't take the nights (even though in college I would routinely stay up til say 2 am, but there is a huge difference between that and 7am) Plus, to top it all off my wife is shall we say less than thrilled about me being sleepy/a zombie on my weeks on and taking forever to recover during my week off. sorry about the long post, but I would appreciate any advice (I tried the 'search function' but all the overnight posts only talked about how everyone loved it)

Thanks a million guys!

*also b/c it is a smaller hospital there aren't any alternative shifts to get switched to b/c there aren't any other openings, trust me I've asked; and I also did not take any kind of bonus or sign a contract so I can leave (with proper notice of course) whenever I get something else.

Have you considered retail, community, nuclear, independent, academia, consulting, or federal pharmacy?

crazybob,

Thanks for the reply, I have/am definitely considering other jobs, however i just want to make sure that its ok to leave this one and that Im not just having troubles due to the fact that I just started nights, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is:

1. Should I start looking for another job now or give it a few months to see if I can get used to it (and for any person with night exp, how long does it usually take to get used to)

2. Does anyone have any solid advice on how to make it through the nights more easily, ie what has worked for you and how did you do it

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I have no experience with working nights on a regular basis, but I think part of your problem is having a normal schedule during your weeks off, which it sounds like you might be doing. You absolutely can't do that, there's no way your body will ever adapt that way. I get up early and go to bed early even on my days off (I work really early in the AM) beacuse otherwise I will suffer come Monday. You need to maintain a consistent schedule even when you're not working. I can see where that would be tough on a relationship to have different schedules, but I would think there would be some time during the day when you're both awake together.

Of course you can leave if you give adequate notice, but I might try a consistent schedule for awhile and see if that improves your QOL. I know lots of people just love nights and having 7 days off, but I can see why you would have issues, especially when your wife is on an opposite schedule.

Good luck.

crazybob,

Thanks for the reply, I have/am definitely considering other jobs, however i just want to make sure that its ok to leave this one and that Im not just having troubles due to the fact that I just started nights, so I guess what I'm trying to ask is:

1. Should I start looking for another job now or give it a few months to see if I can get used to it (and for any person with night exp, how long does it usually take to get used to)

2. Does anyone have any solid advice on how to make it through the nights more easily, ie what has worked for you and how did you do it

thanks!

If you're having trouble with your schedule now, then there's a chance you might struggle even more later on. There's also a chance that you'll just get used to it, but that could cost you something (your health, your regular hobbies, etc).

If I were in that position, I would make the switch as soon as possible.

crazybob,

thanks!
1] the above pharmacist, said it best for me. so yeah, stick it out for awhile mo ;) then again... start looking ANYWAY :laugh: well, incase it doesn't work out right?

2] caramel machiatto...:D

Thanks a million guys!

Hey Mopharm-
(1) Having another job option is a good idea just in case you can't adjust to the night schedule. But hospital jobs are hard to find, so it may take a while until you find your ideal position.
(2) Meanwhile, to make yourself somewhat little comfortable now, I agree that CONSISTENCY is the key. Otherwise, your body is perpetually cnofused. That means, sleep should be the #1 priority in your life, and don't force yourself to switch back to a normal schedule on your time off. Keep a regular eating habit too. Give yourself a couple hours between "zzz" and food.
(3) Try Melatonin 3 mg tabs. I use it when I travel to Europe/Asia. It does work modestly, but the trick is take more than 1 tablet recommended on the bottle to get the bioavailability. I think 15 mg is the highest in studies. I take 3 tablets myself.

Hope it helps! Good luck!

Well, I have no experience with working nights on a regular basis, but I think part of your problem is having a normal schedule during your weeks off, which it sounds like you might be doing. You absolutely can't do that, there's no way your body will ever adapt that way. I get up early and go to bed early even on my days off (I work really early in the AM) beacuse otherwise I will suffer come Monday. You need to maintain a consistent schedule even when you're not working. I can see where that would be tough on a relationship to have different schedules, but I would think there would be some time during the day when you're both awake together.

Of course you can leave if you give adequate notice, but I might try a consistent schedule for awhile and see if that improves your QOL. I know lots of people just love nights and having 7 days off, but I can see why you would have issues, especially when your wife is on an opposite schedule.

Good luck.

I agree completely. Don't try to live two lives. You will not be able to pull it off completely without being an insomniac. Even then that's not good practice.

Let me add that I would not be able to "live" as a parent with a night shift. Oh jeez, it already sucks right now trying to wake up and work my schedule around school and my siblings. I can't imagine how it'd be with night shifts and having kids at the same time. Whenever there are breaks or two-day holidays, I find myself changing my schedule back from day to night and back to day as school beings on Monday (or similar fashion). It screws up so many things. My memory is something that takes a big hit when I do this but that's just me. LOL :)

Last edited:
I used to work nights and it took me about a month or so to get aclimated to a night schedule. Establishing a daily routine during your week on is essential. This may include working out, trying to have lunch (maybe breakfast according to your clock) with your wife, whatever. Just make sure you establish a routine and stick to it. If after 3 months you still have not adapted then you might accept the fact that nights just aren't for you and move on to a daytime position/job. Make looking for another job part of your daytime routine if you're so inclined. Leaving a night postion after 3 months because it just wasn't for you doesn't say anything negative about your work history. To the contrary, it shows that you atleast gave it the "college try". Best of luck.

Thanks for all the great responses you guys; I think it will all work out and even if I have to look for another job I will at least know that this one wasn't for me. I really appreciate all the positive encouragement you all have provided and welcome any further suggestions!

I agree completely. Don't try to live two lives. You will not be able to pull it off completely without being an insomniac. Even then that's not good practice.

Let me add that I would not be able to "live" as a parent with a night shift. Oh jeez, it already sucks right now trying to wake up and work my schedule around school and my siblings. I can't imagine how it'd be with night shifts and having kids at the same time. Whenever there are breaks or two-day holidays, I find myself changing my schedule back from day to night and back to day as school beings on Monday (or similar fashion). It screws up so many things. My memory is something that takes a big hit when I do this but that's just me. LOL :)

my mom worked nights as a RN when I was a kid. It wasn't 7 on, 7 off, but rather 3 or 4 days per week. It was great - they didn't need daycare because my dad would see us to the schoolbus and she was home when we got home from school. We knew not to bug her until we woke her up at 5. She was always available for field trips or if we had a sick day.