Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hfzballer11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Was hoping to get some advice on my situation. I was unsure of what to do in medical school and ended up matching PM&R after applying to a slew of things (stupid, I know).

During my intern year I began to have serious doubts about PM&R, at the same time I developed an interest in anesthesia, however I was already bound by the march to PM&R so I thought I’d give it a chance. Now that I’ve started PM&R, I am confident that it’s not for me. I tried looking for open anesthesia spots but have come up empty. I was wondering what is my best course at this point:

1. Stay where I am and hope an anesthesia spot opens up sometime this year?
  2. Tell my PD I’m done after this year and go through ERAS again? (Risk is not matching anything and having no job in July 2019)

Is there anything I’m missing. What would you guys advise?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your step scores, yes, it still follows you around, and likely follow until end of residency/fellowship.

Talk to your PD and your own anesthesia department. It gets tricky when you switch to another hospital/speciality.

Cant say envious of your situation. But you won’t be the first nor the last to switch specialities.

Good luck.

Ps. Looking through your posts. Make sure you are switching for the right reason. Pain within anesthesia is still competitive, if you’re trying to get to pain via anesthesia... it can be tough three years for you ahead, if you are able to switch.

Last edited:
Depends on your step scores, yes, it still follows you around, and likely follow until end of residency/fellowship.

Talk to your PD and your own anesthesia department. It gets tricky when you switch to another hospital/speciality.

Cant say envious of your situation. But you won’t be the first nor the last to switch specialities.

Good luck.

Ps. Looking through your posts. Make sure you are switching for the right reason. Pain within anesthesia is still competitive, if you’re trying to get to pain via anesthesia... it can be tough three years for you ahead, if you are able to switch.
Step scores are 230’s for USMLE and 600s for COMLEX. I was doing PMR with the intention of pain, but now I’m not sure about doing pain anymore. I made the mistake of doing a specialty for the fellowship. Going into anesthesia though, I’d be happy with any of the subspecialties, or just general anesthesia.