Need some good advice, difficult year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x1240tony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm truly sorry for your loss. Take the time you need to get your head where you need it to be. Med school isn't disappearing any time soon. I suspect if you "abandon hope" you might regret it for a very long time if not forever.

Sounds rough. I'm sorry about all your family problems.

If you want to be a doctor, you can do it. I'm not sure where you are at in school, but your GPA certainly doesn't put you out of the running for med school if it is what you really want to do. It'd be nice to shine while you finish up, and if you need to take a semester or year off to do it, than do it. People go to med school at 25, 30, 35, and even 40+ years old all the time...and being 23-24 is the norm. A year off is not a bad thing.

Also, don't let other people's trivial sounding problems get you down. I know it might be annoying, but also realize that you are not the only person who has to work a full time job as a premed or who suffers loss during school. Family issues will only continue on through med school, residency, and as a practicing physician, and life never really frees you up time for it. You just have to push through one way or another. Best of luck!