Need some help for reapp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spongebobdoc

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's the end of January and I have received 0 MD interview invites. I know some Florida schools (I'm an FL resident) interview till March but that's probably for later applicants and not for me who submitted at like the end of July.
Here's my old WAMC ^
Here's the new stuff I did this year in hopes of bettering my application. My question is, is this enough to turn the needle to get me an acceptance somewhere instate? I'm looking to stay in Florida honestly and that's what I want to do.
If I apply this May, I will submit everything day 1 (hopefully), and this is my new WAMC:
3.9/3.82 (My gpa might be a bit higher because i got straight As this year but I don't think it's a problem on my app so we'll just use the old one)
511 129/125/128/129 (is my cars holding me back)
ORM Arab guy
Clinical Experience: by the time of application: 450 hours of strong leadership position at free clinic, 400 hours paid medical assisting at a clinic back home (did this during breaks and this semester because I am taking 6 credits) 70 hospital volunteering
Research: 70 hours at wet lab, 480 hours at lit review lab with poster presentation, and this semester I started with another lit review lab where we'd have an abstract up and running by May fingers crossed, so I'm assuming around 2-300 hours completed here (unsure, but will definitely have something to show for it)
Nonclinical: 250 hrs with leadership role at homeless food pantry type organization (I run some services we do), 400 for a refugee organization (tutoring and translating english to Arabic) (most meaningful), 400 hr for a fitness organization where I assist in training disabled people (I have a leadership position here where I help make fitness plans), 50 hours TAing for chem prof (rec letter) and 150 hours VP for cultural org.
Shadowing: This cycle I only showed vascular surgery but I shadowed 2 more doctors (internal medicine and pulmonlogists) and I want to shoot for one more
Narrative: I thought my narrative was decent, had it catered towards helping the underserved but I'm not sure if that was the issue with my app (being too general) or my ECs..or my MCAT because I don't know why I practically didn't get anything.
Hobbies: I put down playing the piano my first cycle, I might change it and put sneaker collecting (helps me interact with random people and gain interpersonal skills since that's how you find the best sneakers) since it's something I like doing, and maybe a religious hobby to fill up all the AMCAS activities.

In short my question is: is the new stuff going to help me this next cycle? My mom thinks I should take a year off for a masters (I really don't want to do this). I will probably end up working a medical assisting job or scribing job over the gap year to make some money. Or possibly a research job if I can find one.
The new stuff is: Extra shadowing, new MA job, more hours all over the board, revamping my PS, new research opportunity, and new leadership at service organization. I don't think my writing was an issue because all my friends I applied this cycle thought my writing was really good (we all checked each other's stuff) and they landed like 2-3 MD interviews and have all been accepted. I also had my writing checked by multiple med students from this past cycle. I thought I had every box checked off this cycle regarding my application and was unfortunately slapped in the face with no interviews at all, so I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Since you had so many others look over your writing, you should ask them how you should improve. In my opinion, all of your writing including secondaries need to be looked at. Did they comment on your W/A too?

Just because someone got into medical school doesn't mean they are expert writers or interviewers. They have value but we don't use students to screen apps.

That DO WL is an interesting data point too. But what if it turns into an A?

Reactions: 1 user
Since you had so many others look over your writing, you should ask them how you should improve. In my opinion, all of your writing including secondaries need to be looked at. Did they comment on your W/A too?

Just because someone got into medical school doesn't mean they are expert writers or interviewers. They have value but we don't use students to screen apps.
Yeah, I was definitely going to have an expert on SDN take a look at my PS, activities, and secondaries since I think that's possibly an issue as well. My activities were also looked at by a med student and other friend as well. I did the "show not tell" stuff and I made sure to be reflective on what I learned from the experience and how'd it'd help me become a physician.

As for the DO WL, I want to take it (even though it's expensive as balls), but I'm assuming it won't become an A right now. It very well could though.

It appears that you have increased your clinical exposure hours significantly. If you receive the DO acceptance then attend that school. If not reapply in June and I suggest these MD schools:
All your Florida MD schools (including NOVA)
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, Methodist, Roseman, American University)
Also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
LECOM-(Bradenton and Jacksonville)
NOVA
OCOM
BCOM (new Florida campus)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I never did anything with that, it seems to be an organization for medical students, how could I use this organization to my advantage?
Did you sign up for their newsletter? Reach out to officers at the schools you really wanted to attend? Get them to help read through your application (or interview prep when that happens)?

I don't remember if you sent a Belmont application as soon as they opened in November/December.

Did you sign up for their newsletter? Reach out to officers at the schools you really wanted to attend? Get them to help read through your application (or interview prep when that happens)?

I don't remember if you sent a Belmont application as soon as they opened in November/December.
I didn't send one to Belmont, but I just signed up for their newsletter just now and sent the board an email asking about Florida school chapters so I can get in contact for some of my target schools in FL. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user