Need some help in improving as a candidate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EETTOMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am non-trad applicant planning to apply for class of 2020. I have a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering . My BS gpa is 3.69 (Cum Laude) and grad school gpa is similar. I need to complete biology and organic chemistry in order to finish the pre-reqs. My worst grade in undergrad is a C in general chemistry II but an A in the lab. However, that was a rough semester for me overall and I did comeback with 4.0 in the two subsequent semesters. I have completed calculus based physics with A in both (honors classes) , same for English and calculus (through to differential equation).

Due to unavailability of a 4 year institution in proximity, I will most probably end up completing some of the remaining pre-reqs at a CC. The closest 4 year institution is almost a 100 miles commute and on top of full-time job, it will be very difficult. I am aware that medical schools frown upon CC classes, however, as of now, this is my only option.
In terms of ECs, all I have are from undergrad. I was
-Microsoft Student Ambassador for 1 year
-Vice president of IEEE's university chapter at my institution for 2 years.
-President of my native country's cultural club at college for 2 years.
-Mathematics tutor for 4 years.
-Dean's List for 4/5 semesters
I have an interview coming up for a volunteering opportunity at a teaching-hospital.

Please suggest me as to how I can develop myself as a better candidate so that I can target schools like DMU,KCUMB etc. I realize I will be at a disadvantage taking classes at CC, hence, will need to supplement from other areas.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am non-trad applicant planning to apply for class of 2015. I have a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering . My BS gpa is 3.69 (Cum Laude) and grad school gpa is similar. I need to complete biology and organic chemistry in order to finish the pre-reqs. My worst grade in undergrad is a C in general chemistry II but an A in the lab. However, that was a rough semester for me overall and I did comeback with 4.0 in the two subsequent semesters. I have completed calculus based physics with A in both (honors classes) , same for English and calculus (through to differential equation).

Due to unavailability of a 4 year institution in proximity, I will most probably end up completing some of the remaining pre-reqs at a CC. The closest 4 year institution is almost a 100 miles commute and on top of full-time job, it will be very difficult. I am aware that medical schools frown upon CC classes, however, as of now, this is my only option.
-Vice president of IEEE’s university chapter at my institution for 2 years.
-President of my native country’s cultural club at college for 2 years.
-Dean’s List for 4/5 semesters
I have an interview coming up for a volunteering opportunity at a teaching-hospital.

Please suggest me as to how I can develop myself as a better candidate so that I can target schools like DMU,KCUMB etc. I realize I will be at a disadvantage taking classes at CC, hence, will need to supplement from other areas.

Just do well on the mcat, get a letter from a physician, and volunteer somewhere. Doing well on the mcat is most important.

I am non-trad applicant planning to apply for class of 2015. I have a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering . My BS gpa is 3.69 (Cum Laude) and grad school gpa is similar. I need to complete biology and organic chemistry in order to finish the pre-reqs. My worst grade in undergrad is a C in general chemistry II but an A in the lab. However, that was a rough semester for me overall and I did comeback with 4.0 in the two subsequent semesters. I have completed calculus based physics with A in both (honors classes) , same for English and calculus (through to differential equation).

-Vice president of IEEE’s university chapter at my institution for 2 years.
-President of my native country’s cultural club at college for 2 years.
-Dean’s List for 4/5 semesters

Why do you suddenly want to switch from engineering to medicine?

The class of 2015 graduates in 2015.. Do you mean you want to apply for the class of 2020?

So you haven't volunteered or done anything but school since finishing undergrad? How long have you been out of undergrad?

Have you taken the MCAT? Shadowed?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only real problem I see with your stats is the lack of hands-on patient care experience. Your ECs show leadership and responsibility but they don't show compatibility with healthcare. Try to get a few different experiences with direct patient care and a physician shadow or two.

Yes, I meant class of 2020. The thought of switching to medicine is not on a whim. I immigrated to the US after high school and intended on pursuing medicine. However, the culture I come from dictates what your parents think you should do rather than what you want to do. This makes a huge difference which is not evident immediately. As such, I changed to engineering in undergrad and tried to forget about medicine. I figured once I finish my undergrad and get my masters (I am a geek and love to learn), medicine will be out of my mind with a well paying full-time job. I graduated in 2009 and went for grad school right after. This is my first full-time job and while the pay is good (70k+), it is not at all fulfilling. There is a difference between enjoyment and sense of personal fulfillment. Money is not my objective and my wife (a clinical pharmacist) and I earn enough to live a decent life.

I am not saying with certainty medicine is what will provide me with that sense of fulfillment and hence, the need to volunteer and shadow. But in case it does, I want to be ready to take the next step.

I mentioned in my post, I have not yet finished the pre-reqs, as such the possibility of taking the MCAT does not arise.

Thanks for your feedback. Please do not hesitate to suggest me on how to improve myself from this point onwards.
Why do you suddenly want to switch from engineering to medicine?

The class of 2015 graduates in 2015.. Do you mean you want to apply for the class of 2020?

So you haven't volunteered or done anything but school since finishing undergrad? How long have you been out of undergrad?

Have you taken the MCAT? Shadowed?

If you have a little money, take a Kaplan course and nail the MCAT. They have evening classes so you can still work, but it's a nearly guaranteed study schedule with great material and practice tests.

Think about taking an EMT-B course at your CC. It's great to show you are wanting to switch to healthcare and it gives you some fun hands on patient care experience. I really enjoyed it.

Find one thing, non medical, that you can volunteer for regularly (once a week) from now on. Schools like longevity of one activity. For me, I volunteer with refugee children at an after school program. I just googled volunteer opportunities in City.

But, to give you context, you are very well situated with your GPA. So just do well on the MCAT (26+...hopefully 28+) and you'll have access to any DO school. The other activities just make it easier for them to choose you and makes your interviews more meaningful.

Also. Know now that the application process is a poorly disguised medieval torture practice ;) waiting is rough.

Good luck!

How much will CC hold me back? Thanks

If you have a little money, take a Kaplan course and nail the MCAT. They have evening classes so you can still work, but it's a nearly guaranteed study schedule with great material and practice tests.

Think about taking an EMT-B course at your CC. It's great to show you are wanting to switch to healthcare and it gives you some fun hands on patient care experience. I really enjoyed it.

Find one thing, non medical, that you can volunteer for regularly (once a week) from now on. Schools like longevity of one activity. For me, I volunteer with refugee children at an after school program. I just googled volunteer opportunities in City.

But, to give you context, you are very well situated with your GPA. So just do well on the MCAT (26+...hopefully 28+) and you'll have access to any DO school. The other activities just make it easier for them to choose you and makes your interviews more meaningful.

Also. Know now that the application process is a poorly disguised medieval torture practice ;) waiting is rough.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. How negatively do you feel CC will affect me ?

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. How negatively do you feel CC will affect me ?

No problem. The CC will not affect you negatively at all! You have good university experience and a good reason to choose CC. Be sure to take no less than 12 credit hours per semester, so it doesn't look like fluff, and you are good to go.

No problem. The CC will not affect you negatively at all! You have good university experience and a good reason to choose CC. Be sure to take no less than 12 credit hours per semester, so it doesn't look like fluff, and you are good to go.

I like this. Your gpas are impressive to me and if you can keep it up with those remaining prereqs things will only improve for your stats. Something I think will help you big time (you mentioned it recently and I didn't see in your original post) would be shadowing. Longevity with one would be good and I think a variety of exposures (if possible) would help get your premed wheels turning as you try to picture yourself in that specialty/setting etc.

I imagine a 3.7 with a sweet mcat could land md and do easily if you keep up with (and start following soon) the advice given in the thread.

Get some shadowing and hands on clinical experience. Rock the mcat. Prosper. The end.

Some, but not a lot since you have already had a successful academic career.

Study hard for your pre-reqs even though they will be very easy at CC. Overstudying for them will really help on the MCAT. Definitely get a solid clinical volunteering position and stick to that until you apply/get accepted. Also yes, shadow and get a LOR from a DO.