Need some help on how paying loans works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt105

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to apply for Pay-As-You-Earn and then start doing payments for PSLF, and I'm confused on how the monthly payments will work.

I have 7 Direct Stafford loans and 7 Direct Plus loans. When I use the online repayment estimator tool to calculate my monthly payments on the PAYE plan and get 1 figure, is that figure split evenly across all the loans? Do I have to make a separate payment for each loan? Or does it calculate the PAYE repayment program for each loan individually and the figure shown on the repayment estimator is the sum of those?

One last question, I have $2500 on a federal perkins loan at 5% which is not eligible for PAYE. Would there be a problem for PSLF for me to pay these other loans using PAYE and just quickly pay off the perkins loans in a few payments? I've thought about just consolidating, but most of my loan balance is at 6.8% and ~20% of it is at 7.9% so I think it would bring my weighted interest rate up to around 7.1%, so I feel like I should just keep them unconsolidated.

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Your PAYE payment is your monthly payment for PAYE-eligible loans. You make just one payment (assuming all your loans are with one lender). That payment is distributed proportionately over all your loans (so you're paying off an equal percent of each loan, not an equal dollar amount). In theory, if you could stay on PAYE forever and there was no loan forgiveness, all those loans would then get paid off at the same time.

When your IBR/PAYE application is approved, you get a letter stating what your monthly payment is, and how much of that monthly payment is applied to each loan.

If you can afford it, there's no reason you can't do PAYE and pay off the Perkins loans ASAP. But the Perkins loans are at a better rate--I'd pay the minimum there and apply additional payments to the 7.9% loan instead (you can specify extra payments to go towards a specific loan--if you don't then the lender distributes it amount all your loans). Unless you're counting on loan forgiveness (a bad idea in my opinion), then it doesn't make sense to pay off your lowest rate loans first. Unless you just want the peace of mind of having paid off a loan (which actually is pretty important, and $2500 isn't that much)

If you're really set on loan forgiveness/PSLF (it's possible they'll still be around...), then you could always consolidate your Perkins loans (assuming they're eligible for consolidation into the direct loan program) with your smallest and lowest interest rate loan (such as a $5,000 stafford, subsidized or unsubsidized--doesn't matter, as a subsidized loan will stay subsidized when consolidated)--that way you can keep a relatively low interest rate whilst brining those loans into the direct loan program. But if I'm not mistaken, Perkins loans are actually owed to your undergraduate school, aren't they? So I'm not sure if you can actually consolidate those into the Direct Loan program.

There's no benefit to consolidating other than:
1) Brining FFELP loans into the Direct Loan program (so that they can be eligible for PAYE, PSLF)
2) To get all your loans with one lender (though I think submitting paperwork for PSLF eligible payments does this because FedLoan is the only servicer that tracks that, as far as I know)
3) If you feel more comfortable seeing just one loan rather than ~20.

The drawbacks are your interest rate gets rounded up (so you'll owe more no matter what), and if your loans are at different rates, you lose the ability to pay off higher-interest rate loans first. In theory if you have the money, you should make the minimum PAYE monthly payment, your Perkins payment, and apply anything additional should specifically go to one of your 7.9% rate GradPlus loans. If that additional payment covers more than the accumulating interest on that particular loan, then you will pay down the principle on that loan and save yourself money. It's like investing with a 8% rate of return. Not too bad. (In theory, if you can't pay off more than the interest that accumulates each month, you may actually be better off paying down a smaller loan, since it collects less interest and thus there's less of a "interest hill" to overcome before chipping away at the principle. But this assumes that when you become an attending you can pay down the high-rate loans quickly--otherwise you'd have been better paying down the interest on those GradPlus loans because they'll capitalize at the end of IBR/PAYE)

One of the nice things about PAYE/IBR is as long as you reapply on time, your loans won't capitalize after the initial capitalization (when you start repayment). That really saves you a lot of money. People that borrow $300,000 in medical school probably accrue ~$40-50,000 in interest while in medical school, and at least that much in a 3-4 year residency. But that ~$50K accumulated in residency is basically at a 0% interest rate until you leave IBR. Unfortunately you still have to pay off that accumulated interest before you can chip away at the principle, which is why if you can you should apply all additional payments towards just one loan.

Thanks Bob, you've given me a lot to think about and answered my questions! One final question.. I've been reading on these forums, and many suggest to report your AGI as 0 or the previous year even though it appears like many have a current income that is different. My AGI last year was $2,200; however, I'm now employed full-time and making more money. The application for PAYE asks if your current income is different and then to submit a paystub. I'm assuming this is the route I should take, but why are people recommending to just report 0? Wouldn't that be fraud in some manner...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Bob, you've given me a lot to think about and answered my questions! One final question.. I've been reading on these forums, and many suggest to report your AGI as 0 or the previous year even though it appears like many have a current income that is different. My AGI last year was $2,200; however, I'm now employed full-time and making more money. The application for PAYE asks if your current income is different and then to submit a paystub. I'm assuming this is the route I should take, but why are people recommending to just report 0? Wouldn't that be fraud in some manner...?

I always thought it would be fraud, but another member e-mailed the Dept of Education and asked and posted their response and it was along the lines of "if you wish, you can chose to use your prior year's tax report, or if you want you can provide your current income."

I guess if you're short on cash and need more money right now, you can ask the Dept of Education/Direct Loans that same question and if you get the same response you have that in writing to back you up if it ever becomes an issue. But if you can afford the payments, you may as well just start making them now.

A lot of people use their prior year's tax report (when their income was usually $0 since they were full-time students) so they can get $0 payments for the first year. But just because a lot of people do that, it doesn't make it right or smart (though if the above is true, then it would be both right and smart).

When I asked my loan servicer I got different answers depending on which customer service rep I spoke with. I opted to send in my current paychecks because I figured if PSLF does stick around, the IRS and/or my loan servicer may really take a close look at my loan repayments and tax returns over the prior 10 years, and if I did something wrong they could deny the forgiveness.

In the grand scheme of things, it didn't seem like it was worth risking that happening, no matter how small, to save ~$4,000. Plus, if you're a full-time pharmacist now, why not pay more so you can get rid of the loans ASAP? Once I become an attending physician I'll still pay through IBR/PAYE (I owe enough I'll still qualify) and then pay quite a bit extra on top of that towards my highest rate loans. If you're a pharmacy resident on the other hand, then you probably can't do that, but you should be able to afford the monthly IBR/PAYE payment unless your salary is really low and you live in NYC or SF.

Thank you, I totally understand and agree with your points. I will submit a paystub and begin payments. Now.. here's hoping my PAYE application goes through before my first deadline! Otherwise, I will just miss a payment or two on PSLF. I also wonder if PSLF will be around in 10 years, but I hope they will at least grandfather in people that had already started it. I asked the lady at the financial aid office on my hospital's campus the other day, and she said she didn't think it would be going away, but who knows?

Cheers!