need some hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmay957

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i messed up my first 2.5 years in college and failed out because i wasnt mature enough and wasnt ready for all that college offered. but after a couple years off and two jobs later....ive become more mature and ready to take on college. if i wanted to apply to med school, would i have to show them my first 2.5 years of failure even if i try to start over and get a degree through a community college and then transfer into a different college (different than the one i failed out of)?

Members don't see this ad.

i messed up my first 2.5 years in college and failed out because i wasnt mature enough and wasnt ready for all that college offered. but after a couple years off and two jobs later....ive become more mature and ready to take on college. if i wanted to apply to med school, would i have to show them my first 2.5 years of failure even if i try to start over and get a degree through a community college and then transfer into a different college (different than the one i failed out of)?
Yes, you would have to inform them of your previous failures. If they find out that you had attended and failed out of another institution previously (a remarkably easy thing to do), you could have your acceptance rescinded, and your behavior reported to AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you'll have to send transcripts from every college/university you have ever attended. Don't sweat it, though, you've come a long way and have learned from your mistakes. I was in your position too, didn't take school seriously and failed every class my first year. Dropped out, worked for almost a decade before going back to school, and I have an MD acceptance this cycle. It's a long road, but it can be done.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
would my previous gpa be averaged into my new gpa? sorry for such elementary questions...just trying to see if theres a chance

would it be smart to take cc courses and transfer to a new school or take the cc courses and get the degree from the original school? the only drawback is that i took a bunch of prereqs in the beginning and did poorly on them. maybe i can retake the prereqs after transferring?

It all goes into one gpa pot of soup. Each added ingredient has less effect on the end product.

So you need to look at it as do or die from here on out. Leave nothing left on the field.

That said it can be done. The questions to start asking yourself are: how can get the best out of myself? What am I willing to sacrifice? The people who have done it, what did they do? How can I do that? How is the biggest one....you have to learn how to be a high achieving student. That's a whole genre. Or...a sub genre of the human performance genre.

Science classes are the first hurdle. Nothing matters until you can learn how to ace them. It doesn't matter where. You need A's straight up no chaser. The poor grades in prereqs is another flooring blow to your liver.

Gut check time. Most people aren't capable of doing this from go on a clean slate. Very few people can come back after being knocked down. How much do you like being the hero of your own story? If that doesn't turn you on, forget it.

Reactions: 4 users
It all goes into one gpa pot of soup. Each added ingredient has less effect on the end product.

So you need to look at it as do or die from here on out. Leave nothing left on the field.

That said it can be done. The questions to start asking yourself are: how can get the best out of myself? What am I willing to sacrifice? The people who have done it, what did they do? How can I do that? How is the biggest one....you have to learn how to be a high achieving student. That's a whole genre. Or...a sub genre of the human performance genre.

Science classes are the first hurdle. Nothing matters until you can learn how to ace them. It doesn't matter where. You need A's straight up no chaser. The poor grades in prereqs is another flooring blow to your liver.

Gut check time. Most people aren't capable of doing this from go on a clean slate. Very few people can come back after being knocked down. How much do you like being the hero of your own story? If that doesn't turn you on, forget it.

I'm so turned on right now!

Reactions: 2 users
Jmay,

Nasrudin is absolutely right so read his/her message carefully. I am in your situation and there are plenty of us. You are not alone. This can be done and there are plenty of stories you can find out there. They all begin with an attitude change, maturity, and serious drive.

I had an AMCAS gpa of 2.4 when I finished college (chemistry degree). I worked for a almost 4 years as chemist and decided to go all in as Nasrudin has said. At 28, I am now a full time student pursuing a second degree (DIY post bacc) and doing some genetics/molecular bio research. I've been maintaining a 4.0 in all my classes (5 completed so far and 4 more A's on the way) to first and foremost bring up my gpa.

I studied very little during my first degree and spread myself too thin. I also didn't know how to study in a way that worked for me. Now that I know and realize these things, I use them to be successful this time around. And honestly, it feels like I do less and get more out of it. Getting A's is no longer difficult. Or perhaps I should say, understanding the material is not difficult. It still takes work, but my perspective has changed and my focus is razor sharp.

It's self assessment time. How bad do you want it? It will take me at least 2 years to rebuild myself and my application into a place where I will be at the bottom of the competition as far as gpa is concerned and probably other things as well. Even then, my outlook is bleak. But you know what, I won't fail because I refuse to accept failure with this. I will keep moving forward taking 1 step at a time towards this goal until I have attained admittance. Then I will do the same in Med School. Calculated step after calculated step...using what I know about myself and what needs to be done in order to attain the success I desire. This is life.

How far will you go?

Yes. Luckily there are med schools that reward reinvention.

if i wanted to apply to med school, would i have to show them my first 2.5 years of failure even if i try to start over and get a degree through a community college and then transfer into a different college (different than the one i failed out of?

Yes. Luckily there are med schools that reward reinvention.

if i wanted to apply to med school, would i have to show them my first 2.5 years of failure even if i try to start over and get a degree through a community college and then transfer into a different college (different than the one i failed out of?

Thanking my lucky stars for that.