Need some insight and guidance on moving forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerserkerIP

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well on your own personal journeys and are staying strong through the thick of it all!

Long time lurker here, I have been working my way through the pre-Med process for almost two years now deciding to switch during my 4th year of undergrad and even extended to a 5th year to complete all the necessary courses, doing research, and additional ECs. Originally I was on track for Physical Therapy and ultimately decided to switch as I loved patient care but did not see myself doing it forever, As I really wanted to get involved in teaching, research, and mentoring in my career as well. This is where I began to consider and pursue the path to medical school. Now, I am in a gap year with plans of applying for the 2022-2023 cycle and studying for the MCAT with a 1/21 test date.

Recently though, I have suddenly lost all of my drive with studying and my end goal of wanting to pursue medical school with this application process. I have been working part time, studying and pursuing my ECs that all have been taking a significant amount of time and have not really liked the little of amount of free time I have in general now. I hardly have time to see family and pursue my other hobbies leaving me not a fan of the person I have become these last six months since graduating undergrad. This has left doubts if I will able to handle the rigor and sacrifice that comes with pursuing a career of wanting to be a physician. My original reasons of pursuing this pathway in the first place no longer keep pushing through the rigor of this process for applying. I incorporate days off that feel like aren’t enough and even tried taking an extended break from my MCAT Prep as I thought it was signs of burnout but I am still finding myself in the same rut as of recent.

I have been working as a PCT in a critical unit as my clinical experience that I will say I absolutely love and still feel that I am in the right place with healthcare. Just a bit unsure of where specifically I see myself. Even have been considering other careers such as PA as it would allow more flexibility in my life depending on the job opportunity. For the time being though, would it be best to postpone my MCAT date and overall application cycle for now? Even if that means taking an additional gap year so I am not making any hasty decisions. I am currently only 23 and looking for some insight on moving forward for the time being while I decide what’s best for my future.

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.