Need Some Insight...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

#WhatToDo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have really been struggling with the whole "what to do with my life" question and was hoping I could get a few opinions from all of you.

Originally I was on the pre-med route and received a Bachelors of Science in Molecular and Cellular Biology and a minor in Chemistry in 2011. I made fairly decent grades with a GPA of 3.78. Being pre-med, I did a lot of volunteering at hospitals, charities, multiple extracurricular, etc. HOWEVER, when the time came to apply to med school I second guessed myself and decided I did not want to have that type of lifestyle. I would really like to have a family one day and time to enjoy life. That said, after graduation I went into the work field. I've help multiple positions in biology research, clinical research, medical device industry, and and an analytical chemistry laboratory. Although I enjoy the work I'm doing, I'm still not fully satisfied and still have the desire to enter the healthcare field.

Recently, I've been toying with the idea of going to optometry school. It seems like the perfect career for me that allows a good quality of life and work that helps people every day. I did thoroughly enjoy the optics section of my physics class, and the sensory portion of my neurobiology class.

I do not have any experience shadowing an optometrist, apart from my yearly eye exams (but that doesn't count). Additionally, I have LORs written and saved in Interfolio from my pre-med track, but I know I probably can't use those because they're for medical school and not optometry. I would need to start over with asking/receiving LORs for my application.

Does anyone have any insight or advice for me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

You need to shadow Optometrists and ask them lots of questions. Research the field, and make sure you look at the whole picture. Look at the challenges the profession is facing, the political atmosphere and so forth. Talk to some recent grads if you can.