Need Some Opinions on School Choice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would You Go?

• Wake Forest

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Loyola

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

memehmaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to choose between these two fantastic schools, and I just want to see what others think. Which is better and why? Are there any key reasons you would choose one over the other? How does one go about choosing when the cost is equal?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to choose between these two fantastic schools, and I just want to see what others think. Which is better and why? Are there any key reasons you would choose one over the other? How does one go about choosing when the cost is equal?

It would help if we knew their names..

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I bet OP would find it very helpful if only people who had experience or knew extensively about both schools voted.

Loyola is on outskirts of Chicago. Wake Forest is on outskirts of civilization. LOL.

Reactions: 4 users
Wake Forest. I know quite a few students there and all speak very highly of their experience. Good reputation, nice sized quiet town, and better patient-base than you might think.

The only reason I haven't committed to Wake is that I am from the midwest. Would it be easier to match from the midwest from Loyola? It looks like both schools match students everywhere, and I am not sure where I want to end up, but should I factor that into my decision?

Chicago, beautiful Chicago. I think you know my biases.
Objectively, I think they are pretty comparable academically and reputationally. In otherwords, they are both solid, but I don't think they stand out in my mind. That may be the case for many schools and many "critics."

A thing to consider is the school's proximity to other medical schools. Some surgical specialties, such as ortho and plastics, tend to favor away rotators. (I have no specific knowledge of non-surgical specialties). Away rotations can be a headache, you must arrange and finance the travel and housing costs; so, living by a bunch of other excellent medical schools may be something to consider. In Chicago, prominent names include Northwestern, UChicago, Rush, UIC... I feel like I may be missing some... but you get the point. Anyway, this particular factor may be important to you if you do decide that you want to end up in the Midwest.

This won't be an easy decision. Things to consider:
Both are great schools with strong regional reputations. The Wake name carries more weight in the South, and the Loyola name carries more weight in the Midwest. This doesn't mean you won't be able to match outside of each school's region, but it's definitely something to consider. Wake is probably the stronger school for research if that's your thing. Loyola is a Jesuit institution which can be either positive or negative, depending on the person - but it's not something that be completely ignored. Loyola is in the Chicago burbs, but you still have all the resources of being close to Chicago at your disposal. The Piedmont Triad region is nice and has a distinctly Southern flavor (which I do like), but in my opinion it cannot compete with Chicago.

Do you like snow and frigid temps? No? Then Wake it is!

I definitely have an interest in research. The only research I have done so far is Biochemistry, and I do want to explore research further in medical school. I may want a career in academic medicine. I honestly do not know yet. I need to make sure Loyola really has enough of a research program for me to excel. At Wake, it seems like you can pretty much do research at will which is not always the case at Loyola from what I have heard. OTOH, I think it is more likely that I will favor practicing in the midwest, which like I said is the only reason I haven't committed to Wake. I LOVED Wake, but it is so far from home which is basically the only downside.

It seems like you are asking if it would be more difficult to match to the midwest from a non-midwest school. If you have strong ties to the Midwest, I would think you could come back. Is there anyone else who could shed some light on this?

@singergirl18 That is exactly what I am asking. Also, I have always wanted to do EM, but I know that may change. I am open to anything. Wake seems to have fantastic EM exposure for their students, and they have a big residency program. I believe they treat >100000 pts/yr. Loyola, on the other hand, while also a level one trauma center, does not have an established residency program in EM. Is that a problem?

In recent years Wake has matched some to the Chicago area, and I honestly think the reason there aren't more is that a clear majority want to stay in the south.