Need some perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockDoc7

Living the dream of the Golden Mean.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to be brief and to the point and want to thank you for any and all input.

I'm a mental health social worker. Married without kids. Also an EMT. Quit my job at the beginning of last summer to start the journey towards med school taking classes. I've just finished my third quarter, still need about 2-3 more to complete the minimum pre-reqs, and feel like I'm getting my ass handed back to me. Science is easy is some senses and difficult for me in others. Mediocre grades thus far. Have not taken the MCAT.

Have shadowed and worked with many docs. Have research experience. Have internships and work experience galore. Wife supports us as a nurse and understands the commitment. She's super supportive. We want to start having kids soon. I miss working and supporting the family but now it's hard for me to think of work without having medicine in the picture.

The length of time for training seems more intimidating now than ever before. Just feeling discouraged and need some perspective about continuing on, change direction, or stop completely. Not that any of you know me of course, not expecting epiphanies here, just figured that some of you have had a similar dilemma.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Define "mediocre." If it means anything below a 3.8 average, my advice is to take a break from school, especially if your overall GPA is low and you're attempting to do GPA repair. Because nothing good will come of a subpar post bac performance.

Next, you need to do some introspection regarding why you're not performing well. Are you just feeling burned out right now? Do you fantasize about being a physician without having committed to doing what it takes to achieve that as a real goal? Are you wondering if the cost of medical training to you and your family outweighs the benefit? Do you have a sense of guilt about not working and letting your wife support you? Are you having self-esteem issues and thinking you can't cut it?

Tough to advise you without a better sense of where you're getting stuck. But if you can figure out what the real problem is, the solution to it will be a lot clearer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you quit your job? It seems like knowing whether you could kick @ss in one science class while working would've been the appropriate toe in the water first. In the same way that you don't dive headfirst into a muddy river without know how deep it is.

Go to your school's learning or education center for help with learning styles, test taking skills and time mgt.

I'll try to be brief and to the point and want to thank you for any and all input.

I'm a mental health social worker. Married without kids. Also an EMT. Quit my job at the beginning of last summer to start the journey towards med school taking classes. I've just finished my third quarter, still need about 2-3 more to complete the minimum pre-reqs, and feel like I'm getting my ass handed back to me. Science is easy is some senses and difficult for me in others. Mediocre grades thus far. Have not taken the MCAT.

Have shadowed and worked with many docs. Have research experience. Have internships and work experience galore. Wife supports us as a nurse and understands the commitment. She's super supportive. We want to start having kids soon. I miss working and supporting the family but now it's hard for me to think of work without having medicine in the picture.

The length of time for training seems more intimidating now than ever before. Just feeling discouraged and need some perspective about continuing on, change direction, or stop completely. Not that any of you know me of course, not expecting epiphanies here, just figured that some of you have had a similar dilemma.

Thanks again.

Rock7, as much as u probably dont want to lose time, think about what these solid advisors above have written, as they have been there done that and clearly know what they are talking about. Due u to some unsuspected circumstances I too quit my career to pursue pretty med but was not mentally my self and ended up paying a high price in tuition with no regular income and got all Cs so now for double the price in tuition and lost income. I am retaking those same classes for As to average out Bs on my application...expensive lesson and humility to boot...

I struggled in the sciences in the very beginning. I, too, was a social sciences/humanities grad previously and had never really taken a science or "hard" math class before. I had to start from the beginning in math and took ten consecutive semesters of math to get through calculus 2. I also cried a lot through general chemistry (and physics). I think once you get used to the "language" of science it get easier. You'll start to make connections and it will be easier to understand. It was a rough ride for me but I just finished a biology degree that I am really proud of. You can do it. Just don't give up.

I can relate to feeling of getting your ass kicked. This past Fall semester, for my post bacc, I took orgo 1, orgo 1 lab, physics 1 + lab, and bio 1 + lab. It was the first time being exposed to the material. I did this while trying to stay active in volunteering and clinical research.

I had a tough time staying consistent with studying the material. As some posters mentioned before, the sciences are way different from liberal arts, and require a different set of techniques in order to master. My first two physics exams were crappy and I remember feeling overwhelmed. Orgo was crazy time consuming & at times annoying. But it was a good lesson for me. Even though I didn't know what I was getting into, and even though I was depressed at times, I kept pushing forward. Ended up with a 3.8 for the semester. I will use that same experience to get that 4.0 this spring semester.

OP, don't give up hope. We all can relate to how defeating this process can feel, but you'll be surprised by how much you can accomplish with a bit of hard work and faith in the face of adversity. Plus if it helps, just remind yourself of just how fast a school year really does fly by.