Need some serious advice.... Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIbram

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background info:
University of Florida (undergrad)
Economics Major
Science (BCP) GPA:3.74 (all basics requirements + Biochem, Microbio, Genetics, Anatomy, Physiology)
Overall GPA: 3.7
DAT: Plan on taking August 14th
30 hours of shadowing
Decent EC's + 1 Year Research at UF College of Dentistry

I will be graduating in two weeks.

The problem is that I currently have no LORs. I am currently in the process of requesting letters but i've never spoken to any of my professors. Also the dentist i've shadowed is not able to write me a letter, so the only way I can get a dentist LOR is by shadowing a new one during August-Sept and requesting a letter from him.

anyone have advice for what to do in my situation? the alternative to applying this cycle would be using the extra time to gather all of my letters and shadow more. I would also be working as a personal trainer or doing research in the extra gap year. Also of course, I would be able to apply very early for next cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do the gap year. I requested my letters in Dec and my writers still have trouble getting them in 6 months later.

Plus, you shadowed 1 dentist. Gives me the impression you don't really care, especially with only 30 hours.

Start talking with your professors now and warm them up to write letters for you for the next cycle.

I will not have any new professors as I am graduating in a few weeks, should I make an effort to talk to my old ones? I will be moving back home (5 hours away from my uni) Also this would technically be taking 2 gap years.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I meant. Communicate with the old ones, preferably through email or phone calls. Make sure they know that this is important to you.

What's wrong with taking 2 gap years?
Look at your options, you have no LORs (which are essential), low shadowing hours, 1 dentist who you will not be able to obtain a letter from.
Best case scenario, you manage to get some LORs and more shadowing hours (probably easiest thing to do). The LORs are going to be mediocre at best and unless you plan on holding off you application until you get more shadowing hours in, you wont actually meet requirements for some schools and leave a bad impression on the ones that recommend them.
If you have the money, go ahead and submit, do your best to meet all the requirements for the schools you are applying to.

Or take it slow, save your money, and build a strong application for next year.