PhD/PsyD Negotiating with POI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeor1006

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been fortunate enough to be admitted by two of my top Phd programs. One extended the offer to me weeks ago with partial funding (almost enough to cover tuition) and the other one was an informal offer by phone. I was told by my POI from school 2 that I will be receive full GAship (tuition waiver+stipend) for 4 years. The official admittance package is expected to arrive within this week. My plan is to decline school 1's offer after I receive the official pkg.

The POI from school 1 contacted me recently saying there is a chance for departmental scholarship, which is a one-time award of $7000. He would like to nominate me for that. He also asked me if there was anything he could help or answer that is hindering me from joining the lab. Now I think his lab is a great fit for me both interests-wise and personality-wise. But I already have a relatively big outstanding debt from undergraduate and I really don't want to take out, say, another 30k for rent/grocery. Would it be inappropriate/rude to ask for full funding? I know I should be more grateful since not everyone can get funding, but GA stipend is a lot of money for me.

Is there a way to do this??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't have specific negotiating tips, but CERTAINLY you should talk to the POI at school #1 before making the decision to turn him down! He outright asked you whether there is anything that would hold you back from joining; he wants you to join his lab. I think declining without giving him a shot to advocate for you is actually the more rude move. You've got nothing to lose as long as you are polite and honest. Good luck!

You might as well ask. Sometimes there is additional funding that schools can offer you. I told my top choice that I got a better financial offer from another school, and then they upped the funding to match what the other school had offered. It's definitely a possibility!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes programs can give a bit more, but moving from partial stipend to fill tuition remission plus stipend is a deal of like $50000 over your training. You could always ask but appears doubtful to me.

Thank you all for your answers! I think I will just ask.

Incidentally, when we try to raise stipends in departments, "we lost desirable applicant x because they got an offer with more money" is useful. I would not be at all put off by an applicant asking this.