Nephro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kvh78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know anything about nephrology, like how competitive is nephrology? I heard that Internists make more money than nephrologists! Is that true?
Please comment :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

"internists make more money than nephrologists"? Where on earth did you hear that? Right now, most salary surveys have nephrologists averaging ~220,000 and general internists averaging ~140,000. Unless a nephrologists has no dialysis patients, I don't see how he or she could make less then a general internists. Anyways, nephrology is not as competetive as cards or GI right now, but it's definitely becoming more competetive. I'm interested in going into nephrology too so I'm hoping that it doesn't become too competetive within the next 2 yrs. Anyways, here's are some more threads about nephrology:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1247193
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=101906

It's quite clear that the above poster simply does not know, and is probably relying on locker room chat for information. Many of the boards on this forum resemble this kind of information dissemination technique.

Nephrology has become a very challenging specialty to enter, largely due to the phenomenal incentive package. Further, nephrologists with a bit of business sense can easily make tremendous amounts of money with a solid dialysis business.

Members don't see this ad :)
i fail to understand kleibsiella...

nephro is still not that hard to get into...it nowhere like gi/cards...and the money is there...

i'm not sure what you point you are disagreeing with...kalel said the income is pretty good for nephro....why are you saying this is based "locker room chat"? what's wrong with what he said...

furthermore, this is a free exchange of opinions and ideas...so there is no need to denigrate the nature of his response...

dharmabum7 said:
i fail to understand kleibsiella...

nephro is still not that hard to get into...it nowhere like gi/cards...and the money is there...

i'm not sure what you point you are disagreeing with...kalel said the income is pretty good for nephro....why are you saying this is based "locker room chat"? what's wrong with what he said...

furthermore, this is a free exchange of opinions and ideas...so there is no need to denigrate the nature of his response...

My response was to the banner post of this thread, not kalel.

Having said that, since 'this is a free exchange of opinions and ideas' I will continue to do just that. If you don't like the 'nature' of my posts; tough. Deal with it. I make a point not to attack other posters. Why would I? I don't know anyone here personally. I will expose *****ic conjecture, innuendo, and unsubstantiated invective.

I am well within my rights and the TOS to attack anything that is posted on these forums. If you don't like it, move on. Nobody is asking you to read my posts.

okay then be specific instead of using phrases like "the above poster"...when there are multiple people posting their views...