Nephrology question regarding positive outcomes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can someone please shed some light on the realities of renal practice/treatment. I've watched some videos describing peritoneal and hemodialysis, and it's clear that without a transplant these therapies (albeit necessary and lifesaving) have a huge impact on a patients life. They are intense, and time consuming, not to mention permanent. Quite a bummer.

From an outsider, it seems that renal patients are almost treated in a palliative sense. And that kind of practice is not for everyone. So, what other outcomes (more positive, and perhaps permanent) could a nephrologist offer a renal patient.

In other words, other specialties can see more instant gratification due to a very quick improvement in a patients condition. The obvious of these would be a surgical procedure that simply fixes a problem. But, others would include interventional cardiology in which stent placements in coronary arteries have a near immediate and pronounced positive effect on the patient.

I'm kind of a more instant gratification type dude. Can a nephrologist offer instant gratification/improvement to their patients? I'd imagine there are many/varying stages of renal disease.

Can you be as specific as possible, like "patient comes in with severe, debilitating, water retention, and our methods/therapies fix that in a matter of days".....

Thanks a lot. I do realize that this thread borders on the "bush league". But, any insight is welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

There are some such situations, such as "patient comes in severely volume-depleted with prerenal azotemia, improves with a few liters IV fluid"; however, renal is not the field to go into if you're looking for quick turnarounds. Most of your patients,certainly as outpatients, will be chronically ill with HTN and/or diabetes and while you can certainly work to slow the progression of kidney loss, you're not going to ultimately reverse it. Inpatient consultations may provide a bit more variety, as a lot of causes of acute renal failure in the hospital can be reversed (pre-renal as discussed above, ATN, drug-induced, contrast nephropathy, etc.)..usually just takes some time (i.e. few days at least except for pre-renal, which can turn around rapidly), some IV fluids, ruling out a bunch of other things, and stopping any drugs that can do even more damage. Don't know if this adds up to "instant gratification."

Becket, thanks for the great insight. That's what I was hoping for.