NERB and Cali-schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMAT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I have 1 question pondering in my mind since a long time, if I graduate from a California dental schools and then wish to practice in North, i will have to take NERB....Does graduating from cali schools helps that or will cause more confusion, because i have heared that their are lot of differences in expectations of the two regional licensure examination..

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Hi DMAT,
the school prepares you for which ever licensure exam you want to take. but you have to let them know and they will coach you toward that.

Me too have a question though, So, for how many years you should be practicing in California(with out DDS) inorder to be eligible to practice in other US states
Does anybody know about it?...Pls throw some light

Members don't see this ad :)
N dear dental doc, u should practice for 5 yrs, then u can move to another states, but i am not really sure about that because i heared that from a friend.. so may be try to double check it.. bye n take care

DMAT said:
N dear dental doc, u should practice for 5 yrs, then u can move to another states, but i am not really sure about that because i heared that from a friend.. so may be try to double check it.. bye n take care

Thanks DMAT!
I wish someone could clarify this....

dentaldoc said:
Thanks DMAT!
I wish someone could clarify this....

Well guys ,for your information,reciprocity rules apply only for US grads.But ,exceptions will be made if at that point the other state has the same requirements you have met and if it has an arrangement with california.But ,this is rare and extremely hard.If ,I were to take a guess there are no other states which has same requiremnts as cali .Thw closest is Hawaii ,but still they might just ask you to take the bench.I haven't come across a single soul that made it to any other state from cali.The only person who made it ,was for an advanced program with a full stipend like US grads.
So,you could be staring at a wall ,if you are trying to move out.But then you just mihgt get lucky somewhere too.

DMAT said:
Hi Friends,
I have 1 question pondering in my mind since a long time, if I graduate from a California dental schools and then wish to practice in North, i will have to take NERB....Does graduating from cali schools helps that or will cause more confusion, because i have heared that their are lot of differences in expectations of the two regional licensure examination..

I haven't come across any schools tuning to a students requirement ,but then I think if you tell them the requirements for the board ,they would volunteer to help you out on basis of goodwill.Technically,schools are not responsible for your boards and this is widely prophesed and practised in the best institutions .Since ,most of the private institutions are not ranked high up they might help with the baords as they need a trumpcard to attract people.But,the way things are going ,it doesn't matter even if they dont help anybody ,there will still be thousands of students willing to go in ,with any kind of money they specify.So,consider yourself just lucky ,when you are in .

DMAT said:
Hi Friends,

At UOP interview they mentioned something about willing to prepare you for other boards if you're not takind the Cali board. They specifically mentioned FL board, 'cause as you might know, FL board together with Cali board are among the toughests ones.
Hope this helps.... :luck: