(Nerdy) Preparatin for vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so (nerdiness aside) when I start vet school in the fall of 2016, I'm just wondering if there's anything as far as textbooks/material I can get and become "familiarized" with beforehand?

I know it's really early (and really lame) to be asking a question like this, but it just hit me and I wanted to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm not expecting to really teach myself anything, clearly that's what I'm going to vet school for. But if there's anything that I might be able to sort of make easier for myself when it comes time to actually "learn it" formally, like anatomy or whatever. Or am I just over-thinking it and need to go take a walk or something to clear my head? haha.

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to not put the cart before the horse. Work on strengthening your application now, with more experience. The more cases you see now, the better you'll do in vet school because you'll be able to link the cases with the material in your head. Or so I've been told. Maybe a current vet student would have a better answer. :)

Reactions: 1 user
From past pre-vetties who've asked this question, and the responses from current students: do the above. Being able to link cases to problems and working in your clinic will help you more than textbook studying. No amount of actually studying is going to really prep you for vet school. So take the time to enjoy your life and relax. You'll need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I reading it right that you haven't even applied yet and won't be for another year? If so, the only studying for vet school you need to be doing right now are called prerequisites. At this point, you should just be trying to get as good of grades as possible in the remaining classes and gain more experience in the field. I think you need to focus on actually getting accepted to vet school before worrying about what to study before it starts. You're putting the cart miles before the horse.

Reactions: 4 users
Okay, so (nerdiness aside) when I start vet school in the fall of 2016, I'm just wondering if there's anything as far as textbooks/material I can get and become "familiarized" with beforehand?

I know it's really early (and really lame) to be asking a question like this, but it just hit me and I wanted to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm not expecting to really teach myself anything, clearly that's what I'm going to vet school for. But if there's anything that I might be able to sort of make easier for myself when it comes time to actually "learn it" formally, like anatomy or whatever. Or am I just over-thinking it and need to go take a walk or something to clear my head? haha.

Take a walk.

And, maybe use the 'Search' box in the upper right.

Last edited:
But if you don't put the cart before the horse, how will it buy groceries?
772092_11ee_625x1000.jpg

Reactions: 21 users
Definitely focus on excelling in your upper level classes, even if you already have a great GPA. Some of those classes will likely give you assignments that allow you to tailor them to your interests, so include vet med there when you can. If you have to present a journal article, do it on something vet related. You'll learn something interesting, and teach your classmates at the same time.

Preparatin sounds like some type of ointment you'd need for a personal problem.

Reactions: 5 users
I would get a copy of Big Millers and read it cover to cover. You should have enough time between now and the start of school to finish it.

Reactions: 1 user

No.

Or am I just over-thinking it and need to go take a walk or something to clear my head? haha.

Yes.

I'd say if you have a full course load, just focus on doing the best you can in the time you have left before applying/starting vet school. You will have plenty of opportunities to learn more than you ever wanted to know about everything once vet school starts. On the flip side, once your application is submitted and if you find yourself not having enough to keep you busy (even though you should value the down time you have before the rigors of vet school start), you may consider familiarizing yourself with basic anatomy. I can say with certainty that all vet schools start you off with some sort of anatomy (small or large animal) and if you've never taken an anatomy course before or even if you have, you might benefit from just familiarizing yourself with terms. The Dissection of the Dog (Miller) is a common guide book and pretty comprehensive, and I know multiple vet schools use it. That's really the only book that comes to mind.

You haven't been accepted to vet school yet, so I wouldn't Assume you will even be in vet school in 2016.... Like others have said, if you want to get into vet school you need to study the crap you are in right now and not worry about studying for vet school.... It would be more beneficial IMO to use your spare time working/shadowing in a clinic getting experience and hours.