Nervous applicant.. chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

destinedDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very nervous about my chances of getting into PT school, as I am preparing myself for the GRE. However, as much as I don't like jinxing myself, I feel like I will do horrible. I have Magoosh and the ETS guide book but it seems like I am getting almost everything wrong. In addition, I am a terrible writer.

My major is Exercise Science, senior year.
Current cGPA is ~3.8 and unofficial pGPA is ~3.9, missing physics 2
Honors- Dean's list multiple semesters
Hours 300 inpatient & 400+ outpatient (worked as an aide)
No extracurricular yet- but doing internships at a gym and at a clinic next semester before graduating
GRE- soon to be determined
LOR- 1 science professor, 2 physical therapists

I am planning on applying in the summer. Please tell me what you think if I do really horrible on my GRE. Is it a big factor getting into PT schools?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
are you serious? your stats are great.... you'll be fine

Reactions: 1 user
I was in your same position not too long ago (very nervous about the GRE). I ended up getting a 152 V 154 Q 4.0 AWA. I applied with a 3.9 GPA/306 GRE and have been offered admission from 3 schools out of 4 so far!

Just believe in yourself and I’m sure you’ll do fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your same position not too long ago (very nervous about the GRE). I ended up getting a 152 V 154 Q 4.0 AWA. I applied with a 3.9 GPA/306 GRE and have been offered admission from 3 schools out of 4 so far!

Just believe in yourself and I’m sure you’ll do fine!

That is very exciting. Congratulations and good luck on your journey! I hope I do the same!

I think you've got the hard part done, but GRE still matters. You don't want to leave any doubt in the reviewer's mind. The GRE helps to validate the grades. A low GRE with high grades might lead a reviewer to question the rigor of the undergrad curriculum. Likewise, a high GRE with low grades might cause them to question the applicant's focus and effort.

The good part is you have plenty of time. The verbal section is probably the hardest to improve because it takes time. Again, you have 4-6 months, which should be plenty. You can easily raise the math 4-5 points in 6-8 weeks. It just takes repetition and seeing the variety of problems. For the writing, follow the outline by ETS. It seems they are looking for specific things when grading the essays.

Have you taken a practice test yet?