Nervous...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eremba

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
First time posting...have been reading a lot of the other threads, and I have been nervous for a long time about even trying to apply to schools....

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.52
MCAT: 25P

I know I should probably retake my MCAT.....but I am really only interested in DO schools. I have strong LORs..

I have had to work 40+ hours a week to get through school and have only 1 job shadow experience of 40 hours....no other Volunteering since high school; and my job is healthcare related but not in a clinical setting (I worked in patient checkin/checkout for surgery and medical imaging and now work in health insurance). I am 30 years old and have had to take a very circuitous route to even get to this point. Not sure when/how I would get more ECs since I have next to zero time or do i take a year off after graduating to get ECs??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi.
First time posting...have been reading a lot of the other threads, and I have been nervous for a long time about even trying to apply to schools....

I know I should probably retake my MCAT.....but I am really only interested in DO schools. I have strong LORs..

I have had to work 40+ hours a week to get through school and have only 1 job shadow experience of 40 hours....no other Volunteering since high school; and my job is healthcare related but not in a clinical setting (I worked in patient checkin/checkout for surgery and medical imaging and now work in health insurance). I am 30 years old and have had to take a very circuitous route to even get to this point. Not sure when/how I would get more ECs since I have next to zero time or do i take a year off after graduating to get ECs??
Stats-wise, you're in good shape for many DO med schools, assuming some balance in the subscores.

What was the job shadow that you did? Can you manage some DO shadowing, so as to get a DO LOR?
How long did you work at checking in patients? This would be considered clinical experience. What sort of environment did this occur in?
Do you have any past history of altruistic activities (which are not always "volunteerism")?
What have you done wth your free time in the last 8 years?
I am presuming you plan to apply next June.

If you've only taken the MCAT once, take it again. It's getting more and more competitive each year, and if you look at the stats for incoming classes for 2016, you're going to have to top that next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah give it one more shot..I improved on my 2nd attempt. but if all of your sub scores are above atleast 6 then you have an ok shot if you don't retake. its not early in the cycle anymore so i hope you submitted it already

Quit fussing, you're fine.

Hi.

The no volunteer thing could be a concern, but working 40 hours/week in a healthcare position could allow them to overlook that. The experience is all there. Re-taking the MCAT allows schools to see you're dedicated to improvement, however if you apply broadly you could get some interviews. If you are interviewed, don't suggest that you will re-take the MCAT if you have no intention of doing so; they'll hold you to it.

Yes my full time jobs have been in ambulatory surgery centers and a medical imaging center ( CT, MRI and ultrasound). I have worked in those positions for the last 7 years. I work with patient charts and scheduling and also with surgeons and anesthesiologists to assign the ORs and cases.

My job shadow was with a DO and I did ask for an LOR from him.
My plan is to apply for entry 2014.

My subscores are 8ps 9vr 8bs....perfectly average. Lol. This is my first time taking the MCAT.

My free time during school term is spent playing catchup on housework, sleep ...I work full time (recently even overtime),go to school full time. Study, eat, sleep. I spend time with my family on breaks because I never see them while in school....also I have been in school for the last 7 years....when i graduate in april it will be for my 2nd bachelor's degree

Last edited:
If you've only taken the MCAT once, take it again. It's getting more and more competitive each year, and if you look at the stats for incoming classes for 2016, you're going to have to top that next year.

I would disagree with this. Stats are not going to go up significantly next year. They have shown an upward trend but it's been over years. It isn't like the avg MCAT score goes up a point each year. OP is fine for DO schools. The MCAT isn't fantastic but it's good enough. Retaking may be beneficial, but the odds of getting in aren't going to change too much from this year to next.

1) my full time jobs have been in ambulatory surgery centers and a medical imaging center ( CT, MRI and ultrasound). I have worked in those positions for the last 7 years. I work with patient charts and scheduling and also with surgeons and anesthesiologists to assign the ORs and cases.

2) My free time during school term is spent playing catchup on housework, sleep ...I work full time (recently even overtime),go to school full time. Study, eat, sleep. I spend time with my family on breaks because I never see them while in school....also I have been in school for the last 7 years....when i graduate in april it will be for my 2nd bachelor's degree
1) I would consider these locations to be clinical settings, even though they are not a hospital or clinic.

2) A lack of any altruistic activity will be an issue at some schools, as medicine tends to require selflessness, and adcomms like to see a demonstration that you have that mindset. I suggest you start spending 1-2 hours off campus per week helping others with poor economic resources.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions!
I think I could handle 1-2 hours a week to add some altruistic or volunteerism time to my application. :)

you are a solid applicant. see my MDapps if you want a comparison.

Hi again...as an update I have applied for entering 2014 for DO programs. I have increased my ECs...I now have 2 job shadows (80 hours cumm) and volunteer hours totaling about 50 hours.

My gpa is about the same... 3.56 and 3.64. Have not retaken the MCAT....

So, question...is it worth my money to try applying to MD schools as well??

Last edited:
That's what I thought... Which, ultimately, is fine with me. I just was curious. :)

Hi again...as an update I have applied for entering 2014 for DO programs. I have increased my ECs...I now have 2 job shadows (80 hours cumm) and volunteer hours totaling about 50 hours.

My gpa is about the same... 3.56 and 3.64. Have not retaken the MCAT....

So, question...is it worth my money to try applying to MD schools as well??

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you apply last year? your stats were fine and you could have landed few interviews if you had applied broadly enough.

I had intended to apply last cycle, however I had a medical issue that required surgery and by the time I recovered it was late in the cycle and after posting here in October I felt I would be better served waiting and trying to get a little boost in my ECs...

We are like stat twins! lol. I'm also applying this cycle. I think you will be fine.

Lol! Yes I hope we both get where we want to go!! I just hate waiting!!! Makes me even more nervous....gives me too much time to think....

Quit fussing, you're fine.

Ok, I applied to DMU. I am from Des Moines, had the anatomy professor at DMU teach me in undergrad (he taught his anatomy class minus the embryology unit at my school as an advanced undergrad class) and got an A in that....I REALLY want to go to DMU. so, do I have a shot here with my stats as they are?

Well I have interviews at DMU and KCOM. So not as nervous as I was before. :) hopefully good things happen.