neuro onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stlmadman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a medicine resident at a good program with a strong heme-onc department interested in heme-onc, but lately more specifically neuro onc. I've found the patients with brain tumors and mets to the brain to be the most fascinating.

But...I'm not a neurologist and it's probably too late to start again. I've read that some neuro-onc fellowships take med onc trained fellows and just wanted to know if any of you had any good info on that? I think it'll be easier for me to learn the neuro part of neuro-onc than for them to learn the onc part of heme-onc since our training is longer and more indepth. Am I wrong in thinking that?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well...a quick Google Search tells me that programs are about evenly split between those that accept only neuro and neurosurg trained folks and those who also accept hem/onc applicants. But you probably already knew that.

When I look at the curriculum in those programs that accept hem/onc trainees, it doesn't seem much different that a typical hem/onc fellowship other than the focus on neuro. You don't do anything novel that you don't do in a typical hem/onc fellowship. And you can honestly do that by just choosing your hem/onc fellowship program and mentor(s) wisely. Not only that but you save an additional 2-3 years of training you'll do with the neuro-onc fellowship. If your career goal is running an academic neuro-oncology program, it might be worth it. If you just "like brain tumors" do a hem/onc fellowship and focus on them.