Neuro post doc without didactics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thechariot1x

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I have an offer for a non-formal post-doc in neuropsychology (primarily Autism, ADHD, learning disorders, developmental disorders). However, they do not offer any didactic experience. I'm wondering if taking this offer would mean that I could not pursue board certification and how big of a deal that would be for working in neuropsychological assessment eventually. There is an opportunity for supervision by someone who is board certified and to extend for a second year.

Members don't see this ad.

This would indeed make it harder for you to pursue board certification. I imagine you'd get caught up in credential review until you were able to prove somehow that you were able to make up for that training deficiency.

Thank you for the response, I don't suppose the neuropsych concentration coursework in grad school would suffice? (We had to take 5 extra courses Neuroanatomy, behavioral neuropathology, child neuropsych, advanced neuropsych, and clinical neuropsych)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your neuropsych coursework alone is not sufficient for ABPP board certification.

Per the ABCN FAQ's about credential review:

"While the residency does not need to be accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) or be a member program of the Association of Postdoctoral Programs in Clinical Neuropsychology (APPCN), ABCN does require that the postdoctoral program reflect a structured and sequenced set of clinical and didactic experiences, provide on-site supervision of all clinical cases, and put the learning needs of the candidate ahead of the operational needs of the program."

"Didactic experiences are documented across eight core knowledge areas: Basic neurosciences, Functional neuroanatomy, Neuropathology, Clinical neurology, Psychological assessment, Clinical neuropsychological assessment, Psychopathology, and Psychological intervention. While didactics may be listed from different eras of one’s training, some form of didactic training must be integrated into the post-doctoral program, and it would be expected that postdoctoral training would be represented in most topic areas. Didactic experiences across the eight knowledge areas may include a mix of formal didactics (e.g., neuroanatomy coursework) as well as other less formal educational activities (e.g., brain cutting conferences, grand rounds, case conferences). Applicants may also apply the same didactic across different domains (e.g., Behavioral Neurology Rounds may cover both Clinical Neurology and Neuropathology; courses in Neuropsychology may cover both assessment and neuroanatomy, etc)."

Reactions: 1 user
Didactics can really help with both breadth and depth of topics. It’s one of the harder things to sufficiently re-create in a PP post-doc. Everyone’s circumstances are different, but if you are looking to be NP boarded, that will be a challenge to navigate.