Neuro programs requiring Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihearttimgunn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who encountered a neuro residency program that requires Step 2 scores for consideration of interviews and/or ranking? What programs were they?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you are a US grad or IMG but for IMGs, many neuro programs want ecfmg certification (which requires Step 2) even just during application. Oddly enough, the BIG names (aka the top tiers here) are more lenient with this requirement. This surprised me.

In any case, if you prepare hard and rock Step 2 then that would definitely boost your application. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? No one has encountered any programs that required Step 2 for consideration for an interview or ranking (for US MS4s, not independent applicants/FMGs)? Come on, there must be some. I'm trying to make my 4th year schedule and if I can avoid taking step 2 until later, I will - but not if there are lots of programs I like out there that require it. Anyone?

Really? No one has encountered any programs that required Step 2 for consideration for an interview or ranking (for US MS4s, not independent applicants/FMGs)? Come on, there must be some. I'm trying to make my 4th year schedule and if I can avoid taking step 2 until later, I will - but not if there are lots of programs I like out there that require it. Anyone?

The boards must have been passed and extra testing is required (ECFMG?) for IMGs, but not for AMGs. You will need to submit your Step I score, but I think you will be hard pressed to find one that would make you submit a Step II or a Step II CS score. That being said, they may be helpful if your Step I is average.

This takes time and patience but I actually emailed all the programs I was interested in (whose website list of requirements did not mention it) about whether or not they require the ecfmg certificate. You could do the same asking about your step 2 if you really want to know the definitive answer.

Take it early and get it out of the way. Programs prefer that you have taken it, even if they don't require it. It may not make a difference, but not taking it is no benefit to you.

Is there any disadvantage to taking the step 2 in the spring after interviews if my step 1 is a 229? Thanks for your input.

I did something similar - I'm taking step II this Wednesday (yes, the day before match day). I had a pretty front-loaded 4th year schedule and didn't want to screw up my hard work on step I. The only program I can think of that even asked me about it was OHSU and it wasn't a big deal, just kind of casually asked by the chair as he went through my eras stuff. No place told me to hurry up and get it done, so I wouldn't worry. Though if you're still concerned, I'd take the advice above and email the programs you're really interested in. I know a friend going into rad onc who did that, so it won't be considered weird or anything.

I did something similar - I'm taking step II this Wednesday (yes, the day before match day). I had a pretty front-loaded 4th year schedule and didn't want to screw up my hard work on step I. The only program I can think of that even asked me about it was OHSU and it wasn't a big deal, just kind of casually asked by the chair as he went through my eras stuff. No place told me to hurry up and get it done, so I wouldn't worry. Though if you're still concerned, I'd take the advice above and email the programs you're really interested in. I know a friend going into rad onc who did that, so it won't be considered weird or anything.

Thanks for the advice. Best of luck to you in the match!