neurofeedback suported for.... anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reviewing some treatment notes. Diagnosis is unclear/unspecified. EMG biofeedback appears to be targeting everything from pain, to anxiety, to intrusive memories of an accident. Can one make a scientific argument for doing this as first-line treatment? Can we make the case for it at all?

Members don't see this ad.

No.

Junk science.

(Not to be confused w. Biofeedback)

Are you saying neurofeedback (i.e., eeg biofeedback) is largely unsupported (I agree) while other types of biofeedback modalities (emg, hr/hrv, gsc, skin temp) are supported?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha, I'm not familiar enough with the neurofeedback literature, but believe they need more studies demonstrating efficacy for it. I have heard it being most commonly used for ADHD though.

You likely have already been here if looking around for biofeedback info, but AAPB has this regarding efficacy on their site:

https://www.aapb.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageID=3440

Do the notes indicate that it's helping alleviate those symptoms?

I've heard of neurofeedback mostly with ADHD as well. Don't remember being impressed by the results, but I haven't reviewed anything recently, either.

For biofeedback, I've mostly seen/heard about it RE: chronic pain, headaches, and (again) ADHD. I want to say some of that literature is slightly more robust.

Edit: Looking at the link Harry3990 posted, I honestly hadn't come across biofeedback in urinary incontinence before (although that's not exactly one of my more commonly-searched phrases). Interesting.

Biofeedback definitely is evidence-based for some things and has some rather solid research support.

Neurofeedback does not. That isn't to say it cannot become that since I've seen some preliminary data that are very encouraging. For the most part though, the published literature has been INCREDIBLY sloppy work and it doesn't really tell us much beyond feasibility at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users
Here are some clips from the notes (various sessions)

"20 minutes of Pz to O2 neurofeeedback in 2 minute intervals." (for muscle tension and anxiety)

"PZ to O2 reference EEG operant conditioning paradigm."

"EMG biofeedback on his right trapezoid" (apparently for "neck tension")

"did a 30 mins alpha-theta deep relaxation session."

There's a lot of discussion of a "flotation tank" throughout the notes.

Is this legit? Really? If so, I feel like an idiot for not being trained in it, and really not knowing much about it. Not exactly standards training in doctoral programs, ya know?

Last edited:
Yesterday, I had a stressful day and a little muscle tension in by back and shoulder. Floated in the hot tub for a few minutes enjoying a nice cup of coffee and I felt much better afterwards. I just don't pay $500 an hour for that. :cool:

Then there was that 80s movie Altered States where they were in the flotation tank. Not sure that looks so therapeutic:
altered-states-movie-review-william-hurt-isolation-tank-transformation-regression.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-26_14-5-5.jpeg
    upload_2016-1-26_14-5-5.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 36
The EMG might be legit (I'd need to check). Last I looked, there was actually some high-quality data on it for various forms of chronic pain - including things like migraine. Whether it offers anything over and above non-biofeedback relaxation training I couldn't tell you.

The others are almost certainly bunk.