Neurohospitalist Schedule Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like scheduling is extremely variable and there are some common ones like 7 on/7 off and M-F 8-5.

For 7 on/7 off, do people usually mean 7 DAY shifts of say 7am-7pm, with call some of these nights (depending on set up with other physicians)? This may be a dumb question, but for EM, you'd be expected to work half of those as NIGHT shifts (ex: 7pm-7am). Just wanted to make sure this isn't the case for neurohospitalists.

Also, I've read that neurointervention or NCC will be generally "busy" during call times. What about call for a general neurohospitalist or vascular fellows? I know this is different everywhere, but what is "likely"?

Members don't see this ad.

7 on off means u are on call for 7 days - 24 hours. but u don't have to be IN house all the time. Usually just few hrs during the day to see the patients once, and u probably have to come in for emergencies which could be very variable, mostly depending on if u have acute strokes in that hospital. NIR people are currently not that busy- but u might have to be in hospital ASAP when there's a potential case, anytime of day or night. may be in a busy center 5 times a week- after hours. Vascular have similar call as NH- u are on call on phone 24/7 when ur on

Are you talking about attendings or fellows? You mention vascular fellows. Vascular and NCC attending calls can be highly variable by the situation. Teleneurology, eICU, etc. can really change the dynamic. Also it depends a lot on whether you're in a place that has dedicated NP or fellow support in house 24/7.

Members don't see this ad :)
7 on off means u are on call for 7 days - 24 hours. but u don't have to be IN house all the time. Usually just few hrs during the day to see the patients once, and u probably have to come in for emergencies which could be very variable, mostly depending on if u have acute strokes in that hospital. NIR people are currently not that busy- but u might have to be in hospital ASAP when there's a potential case, anytime of day or night. may be in a busy center 5 times a week- after hours. Vascular have similar call as NH- u are on call on phone 24/7 when ur on

I don't think I understand this. From what you're saying, during the 7 days on, neurohospitalists only go to the hospital when they get called in? If this is the case, then the physician would work less than 50 hrs during the week on?

Most job listings for this said that they work 12 hr shifts and are also on call. I just didn't know if the 12 hr shifts are usually 7am to 7pm, or if flip flop like EM.

Are you talking about attendings or fellows? You mention vascular fellows. Vascular and NCC attending calls can be highly variable by the situation. Teleneurology, eICU, etc. can really change the dynamic. Also it depends a lot on whether you're in a place that has dedicated NP or fellow support in house 24/7.

Sorry I meant attending schedule; mainly a neurohospitalist or vascular neurohospitalist schedule.

I don't think I understand this. From what you're saying, during the 7 days on, neurohospitalists only go to the hospital when they get called in? If this is the case, then the physician would work less than 50 hrs during the week on?

Most job listings for this said that they work 12 hr shifts and are also on call. I just didn't know if the 12 hr shifts are usually 7am to 7pm, or if flip flop like EM.

I mean it could be variable. But in a lot of places u have to see the patients once every morning for sure- which could take u anywhere from 2 hrs to 8 hrs. Then u could have other responsibilities like outpatient clinic etc. Most time neuro-hospitalists are consults only- so u dont have to sit in the hospital 7 am to 7pm. But if u r in a place which takes acute strokes and does tpa and IR and doesn't have separate stroke team/fellows/residents etc, u probably have to stay in.