Neurology and child psych requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Accurate219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if applying to Child Psychiatry fellowship, do you have to have both months of Neurology finished before you start? My program has a lot of Psychiatry service requirements and most of us can just get one month of Neurology in first year. Then, we are responsible for completing the second month of Neurology in 4th year. However, if I try to fast track and apply at the end of PGY-2 will this be an issue? 3rd year is all outpatient and I can't get it done then. 2nd year is strictly Psychiatry requirements (we have an abundance of Psychiatry ER rotations, Consults, and inpatient requirements) we have to do. I'm just worried that not having all my Neurology requirements will preclude me from trying to fast track into a Child Psychiatry fellowship in an area that I am interested in (Oregon and West Coast in general). It's very atypical for programs not to be able to have you complete your Neurology rotations before applying so the programs that I have asked are not sure. My advisor has said that this is not a big issue, but I was wondering if you guys have more input on this.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, but has anyone from your program fast-tracked before? Any current PGY-3s? I'd think they'd know how it usually works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe a month of pediatric neurology can count. I also believe a child fellowship can offer you a neuro rotation, but 99.9% of the applicants you will be competing with don't need this.

Hmm is the pediatric neurology month part of a typical child psych fellowship schedule? It's very challenging to get neurology at my program

yes peds neuro is part of child residency and should double count as part of your neurology requirements for general and child psych residency - this shouldn't be an issue. maybe there are programs that dont do it, but i dont know of any