Neurology at RPAH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pfei7687

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am medical student from the US doing a 4 week rotation in Neurology at RPAH starting in 2 weeks. Could someone give me the lowdown on this rotation, difficulty, hours? I just want to be able to have fun in Australia as this is my last rotation before I graduate in May and want to enjoy my time. Also, does anyone know if they require students to wear short white coats during the rotation? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pfei7687 said:
Hey,

I am medical student from the US doing a 4 week rotation in Neurology at RPAH starting in 2 weeks. Could someone give me the lowdown on this rotation, difficulty, hours? I just want to be able to have fun in Australia as this is my last rotation before I graduate in May and want to enjoy my time. Also, does anyone know if they require students to wear short white coats during the rotation? Thanks

Hey,
I have not yet done my neuro rotation but from what I hear it's fairly relaxed. You'll have lots of time to do things outside of your elective. We don't wear white coats in Australia. Shirt and tie is expected though.

pfei7687 said:
Hey,

As stated by the last poster, no white coats. Intimidates patients or something.

Neuro at RPA as a visiting student is very chill (actually for a USyd as well). You can do as much or as little as you want. I would recommend that you show up for the Thursday afternoon meetings where all of the attending are. That is the only time they will really see you. Besides that, attendings don't do morning rounds, they just show up whenever or schedule midday rounds. I wouldn't bother with rounds though. Pretty boring. Plus, they will never notice if you are there or not. Attendings will notice you when you come to their clinics only. There are so many of them with different subspecialties that they don't know where you are if you are not at their clinic. So you can do whatever.

You can chill out with neurosurgery, they are really cool. Many of the clinics are really cool. Get a schedule of those from the receptionist at the clinic. Just show up to a couple clinics per week and definitely go to the Thursday afternoon thing and you will be good. I would leave for the weekend after the Thursday thing.

One trip to Cairns (great barrier reef). Another to Melbourne but really not much different from Sydney except that it is cleaner. One out to Uluru (Ayers rock) if you wallet is healthy. That should do you for the month.

Enjoy.